Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

stuck spark plug... please help ASAP!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Starting Member
musclecar70sfan is on a distinguished road
Default stuck spark plug... please help ASAP!!

Hey guys, I'm trying to replace the plugs in my 94 Jimmy but one of the plugs (middle one pass. side) is in there pretty good. Is it safe to use an extension on the wrench to get more leverage?

Old 12-22-2009, 04:20 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

yes, but as with ANYTHING you do, be careful! if you snap the old plug, boo hoo, its going in the trash anyway.

if you snap the one you plan to put in... not so much

if the center plug is frozen, step back take a break and come at it with a fresh eye...

i used an extension AND a knuckle on #3. i used a 6" or 8" extention on i think #5 on the P side. you will be fine. if that doesn't do the trick, give it a light shot of pb blaster, and tap it gently with a screw driver handle to help it penetrate.

you'll get it. just stay positive!

Old 12-22-2009, 04:55 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

depending on how good your "feel" is, i've even had to use my 18" pipe on my ratchet-i slip it over the handle for leverage.

now, i've had this pipe for 15 years or so, so i have a pretty good feel for it. plus it fits over the ratchet handle perfectly, so there's no slop in the ratchet.

but like Curtis said, it doesn't matter if it breaks coming out, but you may want to run a thread chaser through the hole before the new plug goes in.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:57 PM
Rhamius is on a distinguished road

Be careful. I broke a plug off leaving only the threaded portion stuck in the engine. I used an easy out to get the rest of plug out. Worked like a charm. I bought the truck used and I think those might have been the original plugs.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:46 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

And when installing new plugs, use anti-seize compound on the threads.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:07 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rriddle3
And when installing new plugs, use anti-seize compound on the threads.
use the "Copaslip" from Molyslip, the best stuff out there.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Beginning Member
liftedwhite95 is on a distinguished road

if you chase the threads with a tap , be sure that you dip the tap in grease before you use it in your head ... the coating of grease will catch the metal shavings so they don't fall into the cylinder , instead they'll stick to the tap and all will be good.... i do this at least once a week on motorcycles

Old 01-03-2010, 12:54 AM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by liftedwhite95
if you chase the threads with a tap , be sure that you dip the tap in grease before you use it in your head ... the coating of grease will catch the metal shavings so they don't fall into the cylinder , instead they'll stick to the tap and all will be good.... i do this at least once a week on motorcycles
thanks brother.

funny how we can forget to put in the simplest steps when posting for someone else to do it, and yet we'd never forget to do that step when actually doing it ourselves. (great trick when installing a Heli-Coil kit on a stripped plug hole ).