Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Throttle Body/Starting/Fuel Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 07:30 PM
roaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Throttle Body/Starting/Fuel Issue

I have a 1987 S-10 Blazer. I have about 120,000 on it.

I have replaced the plugs, starter, plug wires, fuel pump, fuel filter.

I cannot start on the first attempt.
Starts EVERY single time on the Second attempt.

This is more annoying than anything but its really bugging me.

Any thoughts???

Old 02-17-2008, 07:52 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Throttle Body/Starting/Fuel Issue

Welcome to the site.
I gather this is a 2.8L V6?

try turning the key to run and waiting a few seconds, and then turn it to start. Trying to see if your fuel pump needs a few seconds to prime the fuel lines before it will start.

Also could you be a little more specific about the problem. What is different between the first time and second time?

Old 02-18-2008, 11:26 AM

Yes is the 2.8l V6.

I have done the key to the on position trick, which led me to replace the fuel pump.
Basically it cranks but doesn't start, on the first attempt.
The second attempt it starts and cranks immediately, every time.
If it was another vehicle I'd say it was a choke issue, but...no choke in these.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

So what you are saying is that when you initially turn it to the 'START' position, nothing happens, but then on the second attempt the starter engages and the engine starts?

Old 02-18-2008, 02:57 PM
HeyYou is an unknown quantity at this point

I think what he is trying to say is that when he first turns the key to the start position, the engine will crank, but, not start, on the second try, it fires right up. My brothers 2.8 FI does the same thing, and has since new...... More of an annoyance than a problem.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:10 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a choke. IAC is the choke on the TBI engines.
Being an '87 there are a few strange things too.
Does your oil pressure guage work?

Old 02-19-2008, 11:18 AM

No the Oil Pressure Gauge only SEEMS to work when I crank it up.
My mechanic said the oil pressure is excellent for the age of the vehicle.
Did I mention I bought this truck from a preacher who APOLOGIZED for only have 37 of the Oil Change receipts at 120,000 miles???

As for the previous thread question, yes I try to engage the starter with the key, it turns the starter but it will not FIRE or Start the engine. The second time it fires like a charm.
Everything else seems to operate correctly,

Oh...the back DOOR handle doesn't work anymore, the glass part does but the door wont open.
I figure i can replace the entire mecahnism.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:07 PM
86S10 is an unknown quantity at this point

My truck does the exact same thing. First attempt after waiting any amount of time waiting for fuel pressure it will never crank, sometimes it will start after i stop cranking though, like a second after i release the key.but on the second time i can "tap" the key to the start position and the engine starts right up, no problem. im pretty sure its just a 2.8 V6 thing.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:36 PM
BF Veteran

Check your oil pressure sending unit, its tied into the fuel pump relay. Disconnect it and see if the problem goes away.