Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

timing

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 12:17 PM
Beginning Member
tansdad is on a distinguished road
Default timing

On my 1997 blazer I am putting in new timing chain and gears. First problem they gave me the wrong set. I lined up the mark on the balancer before I started. I have the cover off and the crankshaft sprocket is at 12 o'clock and the distributor is pointed at the mark that is said to use when installing the distributor which means it should be top dead center on cyclinder four. The problem is that the camshaft spocket is 160 out pointed straight up.

I put a new distributor in a while back and it still didn't run right. So am I on number one cyclinder or number four?

Old 04-17-2017, 06:04 PM
Beginning Member

Wow all those views and no help. I put the new timing chain in......the notches on the crankshaft and camshaft gears line up.........number four cylinder should be at TDC....the rotor is pointing where number four should be firing[enchanced ignition].....I put timing cover on loosely so that I could put crankshaft position sensor in.......and I still have no start.

Any ideas?

Old 04-20-2017, 07:22 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tansdad
Wow all those views and no help. I put the new timing chain in......the notches on the crankshaft and camshaft gears line up.........number four cylinder should be at TDC....the rotor is pointing where number four should be firing[enchanced ignition].....I put timing cover on loosely so that I could put crankshaft position sensor in.......and I still have no start.

Any ideas?
I'm sorry but what you have said is goofy on so many levels. I suspect that is why you have no responses.

Nevertheless, line the marks on the gears up together because it is easier to see when they are together (12 o'clock on crank gear and 6 o'clock on cam gear). Install the timing cover and install crank sensor and balancer fully. You did buy a brand new timing cover, right?

Pull #1 spark plug. Roll the engine over until you start getting compression (stick your finger in the hole). Continue until #1 cylinder mark on balancer is lined up with mark on timing cover (there is a second mark on the balancer that will be part way down on the drivers side of the balancer - do not use that mark). The drop the distributor in with the rotor pointing to the #6 cast into the top of the distributor body (where cap mounts).

Check and adjust cam sensor retard with a capable scanner. Should be 0 +/- 2 degrees.

Done

Old 04-21-2017, 12:45 PM
Beginning Member

Sorry if I sounded goofy but I was at the cussing tool throwing stage. I get mad when I can't figure something out.

It is back together and running. The no spark problem was in fact the crankshaft position sensor was not completely seated in the cover.

things that I just couldn't understand are I searched the web everywhere....including Just Answers where I paid forty dollars to a Chevy "expert".......and until I asked my brother did anyone mention the sensor. I had no idea that could cause a no spark problem.

As far as timing off of the number one cylinder my repair manual clearly states to time off the number four cylinder. That didn't sound right to me so again hit the web and found alot of places saying to bring the engine TDC on the number four cylinder.

One last thing.......for the life of me I can't figure out why with this "enhanced" Ignition why when the rotor would spark on one side of the cap it would actually ignite a cylinder on the other side of the engine. What in the world is the purpose of that other than they can charge you three times the cost of a conventional cap.

Well like I said it is back together and I'm sure I'm not the only person who has had this problem is I hope that maybe in the future this thread will help save someone else a major headache.i

Old 04-21-2017, 06:09 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tansdad
Sorry if I sounded goofy but I was at the cussing tool throwing stage. I get mad when I can't figure something out.

It is back together and running. The no spark problem was in fact the crankshaft position sensor was not completely seated in the cover.

things that I just couldn't understand are I searched the web everywhere....including Just Answers where I paid forty dollars to a Chevy "expert".......and until I asked my brother did anyone mention the sensor. I had no idea that could cause a no spark problem.

As far as timing off of the number one cylinder my repair manual clearly states to time off the number four cylinder. That didn't sound right to me so again hit the web and found alot of places saying to bring the engine TDC on the number four cylinder.

One last thing.......for the life of me I can't figure out why with this "enhanced" Ignition why when the rotor would spark on one side of the cap it would actually ignite a cylinder on the other side of the engine. What in the world is the purpose of that other than they can charge you three times the cost of a conventional cap.

Well like I said it is back together and I'm sure I'm not the only person who has had this problem is I hope that maybe in the future this thread will help save someone else a major headache.i
Glad you have it running again. Thanks for letting us know.