Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

tranny 911.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 03:38 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

good luck man hope its something stupid and not major

Old 04-01-2012, 05:33 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Ok...update.
Looks like tranny is shot.
i checked all fuses and connections
but...i hooked a hose to tranny line ran to bucket.....dry well.
Nothing was pumped out.....found the issue

Old 04-01-2012, 05:45 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

You're sure it has plenty of fluid? Stupid question I know. When was the filter changed last? Unless it has been slowly getting worse I can't see it being the filter though. Maybe a plugged trans line?! I'd hate to think of it being the TC. You could always drop the pan & see if there is any crud, seals etc in it.
Also you can remove the trans cooler lines & blow air through them. If one is plugged it might be just a temporary fix because what ever plugged it is going to cause it's own issues.

Last edited by Rottidog; 04-01-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:48 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Id drop the pan see how its looks

Possibly a bad pump ? eh ........makes me wonder

Old 04-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Starting Member
volfan4 is an unknown quantity at this point

they usually dont break with out some warning signs (knocking noise), but what about the flywheel. its possible it has broken around the crankshaft flange.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:17 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Flhid and filter change last fall.
i popped the little plate under flywheel and converte..looks dry and it all seem to turn fine while it was running.
I have a line on a tranny for 150 tomorrow...hope it checks out
Is there a way to replace just pump? Thought it was all or nothing on that.
i will drop pan and double check....never felt any issues at all...drove fine all day today
Just pulled to light and nothing....still no noises or anything...sounds and feels like its in neutral....all rev and no go

Old 04-01-2012, 06:29 PM
BF Guru

The trans has to be dropped to change the pump

Might as well check the whole inside if the pumps out

Old 04-01-2012, 06:47 PM
BF Veteran

I think i am gonna go for the swap and set this one aside...till funds are there for rebuild...stang is going on back burner.....maybe.....i always assume worst case senario....pessimist i guess.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:39 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Plan for the worst & hope for the best!

Old 04-02-2012, 08:38 PM
BF Veteran

^^^yup

well i picked up my tranny today...100.00 craigslist find.
local yards wanted 300.00 min
guy's blazer was wrecked (t-boned) 130k on odometer....it looks i may have got lucky...or taken for a ride...will know withen two days time (max i hope)
the tranny mooved thru gears fine..fluid looked good...no metallic flakes or floaties.

while i have trans out i was thinking of these items

rear main seal....maybe ....when i had the inspec plate off to check flywheel it looked dry in there....we will see. (yes i have tightened oil pan...never dried it out)
trans case seals
tranny outer seals
of course...new filter and fluid.

i also found that no one makes a gasket between transcase and tranny....black rtv for that??

thanks again guys for all the advice and info....i am using the tranny pull how to by hanr3 on this forum

i may have my old one rebuilt over summer...and swap out this one i got today....i dont know.....worst case just keep it around for spare.
this one i bought today has 130k on it...mine made it 230k....so who knows.

Quick Reply: tranny 911.....