Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

tranny issues plzzzz help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Beginning Member
amp88fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tranny issues plzzzz help!!!!

I bought a 95' blazer4x4 last month...it had set for about 6 mos so i used a good lucas injector cleaner and ran a couple tanks of gas thru it and the rough idle seemed to cure itself...it has been running fine, we have put about 300 miles on it in the last few weeks...today we left the house and got about a mile away, my wife put the truck in reverse and it took a min and a slight rev to grab reverse,then there was a vibration from the driveline she put it into overdrive and we took off just fine. we drove about 15 miles to the flea market and had to park on a slight grade facing down where we were gonna have to back out up the grade...so i was gonna move it to a diff spot, when i put it in reverse and reved the engine it would not grab...so rather than have it roll over a very steep hill thru the woods i went and found someone to pull me out of the spot...after getting pulled out and turned around it shifted into overdrive and pulled out to the front of the lot just fine...but i did notice a slight whining ...i parked it and checked the tranny fluid.......bone dry....i checked the fluid when we bought the truck and it was at a normal level about three weeks ago.....after crawlin underneth no obvious leaks are visable anywhere....after walking around for about an hour out in the "sticks" at this flea market/turkey shoot nobody could help me find any tranny fluid...so i figured if it was driving forward we could try to get to the nearest store..we loaded up and made it about 4 miles before the rpm's started comin up slightly and there was some deffinate slipping happening when we started up the hill to the point we had to pull over ...a farmer where we stopped said he had no tranny fluid but had something that would work....he came back with about 3 quarts of hyd fluid, he said thats what he ran in all his trucks transmissions and never had a problem...i figured it was better than nothing so i put it in..nothing happened imediatly...so we shut it off and let it set a min....after 10 min we started it and it seemed to be fine...so we took off less than a mile away the trans started slpping again bad....we stopped set a few min andwe would start out slow easining into the gas and it would shift into second but as soon as we would build speed to about 35 it would rev high and stop grabbing at all and would not down shift at all we would have to stop and set a few min then take off again...all the way home like this.....what do you smarter tranny guys think?

Old 09-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: tranny issues plzzzz help!!!!

Probably lost the input seal on the transfer case and filled the transfer case with your transmission fluid. Pull the upper plug on the back of the transfer case. If fluid comes out, then the input seal went and that is where all of your transmission fluid went.

Hydraulic fluid should NOT be used in an automatic transmission. It does not have the proper formulation to handle the heat nor does it have the proper properties to help the clutches bite. It may be quite difficult to get that stuff out of the transmission as well.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Beginning Member
amp88fan is an unknown quantity at this point

so basicly the old farmer was full of crap!...im goin to pull the plug on the transfer case monday ....im a pretty good mechanic and have worked on many 4x4 suspensions but dont know alot about transmissions or transfer cases...should'nt there be some transfluid in the case or diff lube...nothing....what?...pulling the trans and replacing it would not be a problem for me...well its a problem but more on the side of i just dont want to have to do that unless nessecary...one other question i have is ....i have read in some other forums that said any GM V8 TRANS WOULD WORK...and that it had more clutches and would hold up better than the 4l60e...is this true? and if so are there any mods to be made? im now worried about the hyd fluid getting into my transfer case if indeed it is the seal.....can this seal be replaced and the trans flushed good,new filter, or would it be just as cheap to get a trans out of the yard and replace it?

Old 09-15-2008, 08:16 PM
smdepew1976 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah the old farmer's trucks musta all had manuals in them......your tranny is toast....get it rebuilt or replaced.....

Old 09-15-2008, 08:16 PM
smdepew1976 is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry