Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Tranny just rebuilt...won't shift up

Old 03-08-2017, 04:52 PM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

Yes the PRNDL switch plays a huge roll in shift strategy. Those are easily damaged when unplugging if you don't heat the connector to soften the sealer. That is not a very expensive part to try. Just a pain to change in vehicle. These S series have a problem with ignition switch going bad and losing power to transmission. Will cause the dash light to not light but will also put the trans in limp mode. Second or Third gear only no shifting. Have you figured where you are losing fluid?

Old 03-10-2017, 02:35 PM
Beginning Member
Lyricalsalvation444 is on a distinguished road

When referring to the PRNDL switch are you talking about the neutral safety switch?
Originally Posted by Transman304
Yes the PRNDL switch plays a huge roll in shift strategy. Those are easily damaged when unplugging if you don't heat the connector to soften the sealer. That is not a very expensive part to try. Just a pain to change in vehicle. These S series have a problem with ignition switch going bad and losing power to transmission. Will cause the dash light to not light but will also put the trans in limp mode. Second or Third gear only no shifting. Have you figured where you are losing fluid?

Old 03-10-2017, 03:03 PM

Yes same switch

Old 03-11-2017, 08:21 PM
Beginning Member

What about the code I got for the tcc solenoid? Would you start with changing out the neutral safety switch AND the TCC solenoid too?
Yes same switch

Old 03-12-2017, 06:10 AM

I would suggest do the PRNDL switch first to see if you can get it shifting then address the TCC code. Don't see many TCC solenoids bad in this model,more valvebody wear and torque converter issues that cause the code.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:58 PM
Beginning Member

Any help on the exact location of the neutral safety switch , what has to be removed to access it and whether mine is a 1 connector switch or 2 ? My parts store is showing both for my vehicle ...thanks
I would suggest do the PRNDL switch first to see if you can get it shifting then address the TCC code. Don't see many TCC solenoids bad in this model,more valvebody wear and torque converter issues that cause the code.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:48 PM

It is on the outside of transmission where shifter cable hooks to lever. You will have a 2 plug switch. You will have to remove front drive shaft to get to it.Tranny just rebuilt...won't shift up-img_0003.jpg

Old 03-12-2017, 05:00 PM
Beginning Member

When I get the drive shaft off is there a way to test the switch to see if that is my problem without changing it out or just best to change it..put it back together and see what happens? I really appreciate all ur help
It is on the outside of transmission where shifter cable hooks to lever. You will have a 2 plug switch. You will have to remove front drive shaft to get to it.Attachment 29715

Old 03-13-2017, 05:19 AM

Just change it out it can be tested but pretty long process and sometimes time consuming. Make sure to check the connectors on the wiring harness for damage. Make sure to heat the connectors with a heat gun or lay a drop light up next to them for a bit to soften the sealer in the switch or you will damage the connectors.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:08 AM
Beginning Member

Ok thanks so much...I'll let u know what happens when I get it changed out...
Just change it out it can be tested but pretty long process and sometimes time consuming. Make sure to check the connectors on the wiring harness for damage. Make sure to heat the connectors with a heat gun or lay a drop light up next to them for a bit to soften the sealer in the switch or you will damage the connectors.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tranny just rebuilt...won't shift up