Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Tranny slipping Shop says it was tran cooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 04:55 AM
painter203 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tranny slipping Shop says it was tran cooler

Recently had problems with transmission slipping out of drive when driving for hour or more. Took it to the tranny shop and they said the transmission cooler was clogged and caused 3-4 or 2-4(can't remember) band (or clutch) to go bad. Don't know squat about transmissions, does this sound right? They charged 1400 for rebuild, new transcooler and lines.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Starting Member
BlazinMike89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Tranny slipping Shop says it was tran cooler

A Tranny that has overheated will burn up the clutch plates inside, so If your cooler went bad and your tranny wasnt cooled, this is possible. #1 Transmission Killer is Heat. once temp start spiking above 220 F Varnish will form and turn to carbon, then 240 F to 260 F Seals Harden and Plate Slip and above that youll burn the clutch packs up and oil turns black, carbon like. So I Would say it sounds right. Just my .2 cents

Old 01-21-2009, 10:29 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

What blazin said.
Plus its the 2/4 band, it goes around the clutch pack.
Get kevlar (High energy) replacement clutch packs.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:14 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Also install an aftermarket tranny cooler, though in your particular situation it wouldn't have helped if the factory cooler got clogged.

I do have to say first time I've ever heard of a tranny cooler clogging, though. I would guess you had some other problem inside the tranny causing the clogging of the cooler.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Starting Member
BlazinMike89 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: AJBert

Also install an aftermarket tranny cooler, though in your particular situation it wouldn't have helped if the factory cooler got clogged.

I do have to say first time I've ever heard of a tranny cooler clogging, though. I would guess you had some other problem inside the tranny causing the clogging of the cooler.
I Agree on this, the only thing that clogs up the fluid and filter are the metal filings from the gears, clutches on the transmission. So the fluid would have to go thru the filter and it would clog up thier first. Your Radiator Could have an internal crack possibly. Did you have that checked, you dont want tranny fluid mixing with Antifreeze or Vice Versa.