Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Tranny won't come out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 04:09 PM
Beginning Member
Lower_Level is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tranny won't come out!!!

So I'm in the middle of swapping another tranny into my '95 Jimmy. When I took the one from the doner truck, it came out fine with no issues. But on the Jimmy for some reason I can't get the trans to split off the motor. I got all 6 bolts out, as well as the converter bolts. But it just won't pop!

Anyone know of any trick to getting a stubborn tranny apart?

Old 10-19-2009, 04:28 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

i had the same issue with the trans seperating when i stipped a '98 Jimmy in the Spring. i just took one of my REALLY big chisels (it's actually more like a wedge, really long taper to it) and just kept driving it into the edge of the block/bell housing at the bottom sides. can't really get at it anywhere else so...........
i tried spraying the dowels with a good penetrant (other than WD40), even tried heating them up with the torch, didn't budge. i was even hangging off the tailstock. trying to get it to come off, still no luck.
if yours is as stuck as mine was, you're just gonna have to use determination to seperate it. try and find something similar to my chisel i described, it should work for you as well.
good luck.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Beginning Member
twinke00 is on a distinguished road

you need a engine hoist and lift the engine a little and put a jack under the tranny to make them level and wiggle the hell out of it. thats how i got mine out of my 98 blazer

Old 10-20-2009, 12:11 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

hey twinke00, i've never had to use an engine hoist to remove a trans before.

re-read his post. he says the damn thing is stuck tighter than a muskrats ***, while his other truck came apart no problem. sounds like he knows what he's doing, but this one won't budge for him.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:27 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the dowel pins are froze up. Spray some penetrating oil at the dowel pins and then hit the sides of the transmission bell housing where the dowel pins are with a few quick blows and spray it down again.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:48 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks guys. I'm gonna give that chisel idea a try. If not; I may have to resort to cutting the bellhousing around the pins to try & free it up. The tranny is junk, so destroying it to get it out is always an option!

Old 10-20-2009, 11:05 AM
BF Guru

even if the trans is junk, don't wreck a perfectly good housing just to get it out. i took over an hour to seperate the trans/engine 'cause it was so stuck. if i can take my time (i'm really an impatient SOB sometimes), i think anyone can. try the heat before the chisel, it might work on yours, ya never know. if nothing else, it may free up the dowel pins a little, like it did for me.
good luck.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:01 PM
Beginning Member
twinke00 is on a distinguished road

or it could be on a bind that is why i said to use the engine hoist and jack to make them level and you will also have more wiggle room

Old 10-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Beginning Member

I finally got it out! I ended up using a 5lb mini sledgehammer & just kept tapping on the housing where the converter cover bolts on. once I got it to crack, I used a small prybar in the gap & it popped right off! Just had to get past that little sticky spot!

Old 10-20-2009, 10:19 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by twinke00
or it could be on a bind that is why i said to use the engine hoist and jack to make them level and you will also have more wiggle room
i still don' see how using an engine hoist is gonna do anything, the engine is bolted in, you can't move it. if anything, you'd want the trans to hang lower (no cross member, it'll hang down), this will give you more wiggle room.

Originally Posted by Lower_Level
I finally got it out! I ended up using a 5lb mini sledgehammer & just kept tapping on the housing where the converter cover bolts on. once I got it to crack, I used a small prybar in the gap & it popped right off! Just had to get past that little sticky spot!
glad to hear that. that's all i ever use is a 4lb mini-sledge, or my size 12 if i get really pissed off, hahahahaha! when you put the other trans on, be sure to run some emery paper around the dowels. also, i always put a little white grease on them for next time. (there's always a "next time")