Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Trans Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 06:37 PM
freddybob99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trans Leak

Hey guys I am new here so bear with me. I just had the intake gasket replaced on my daughters 99 blazer, now it seems the best that I can tell that I have developed a trans fluid leak. I was wondering if there was any corolation in the two. The leak seems to be on the side where the dipstick is if that helps. I don't know what all had to be pulled to replace the gasket. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:28 PM
HeyYou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Trans Leak

SHould not have had to disturb anything trans related to do the intake, except maybe a bolt that holds the trans dipstick tube in place, but, those are usually a bell housing bolt, so, who knows. In any case, trans fluid should be pink. As it ages, it gets a little darker in color, but, if you wipe your fingers thru the puddle, and look, it should be noticeable trans fluid. If it is black, then, chances are that you have an oil leak from the intake manifold that was just replaced.....

Old 01-23-2008, 09:43 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Trans Leak

Correct, no need to pull the tranny dipstick tube to replace the intake gasket, or a valve cover gasket.

It could be coinsidence. there are several places a tranny can leak, input seal (behind torque converter), dipsstick tube, tranny pan gasket, t-case input gasket or tranny output gasket in tailhousing, leaking cooler line, shift linkage, or vent tube.
fisrt determine color and general location of leak. Pressure was the engine bay to clean off all old grease, oil, then park over some cardboard to get a general idea where the leak is coming from. Plus the cardboard will help identify color of fluid.