Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission Diagnostic Help! Please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 07:56 PM
TomSawyer is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I've been out for a while. I changed out the governor and took it around the block for a test ride. The tranny is now shifting into second and third (don't know about overdrive, the tag is no longer valid and I'm driving it in the neighborhood), it seems each time I drive it around the block the shifting range (RPM's) keeps getting higher???? I haven't serviced the tranny as suggested by the tranny mechanic so that may have something to do with that issue. He did say to look out for sticky valves for a while, perhaps that's due to an over due service and the truck has been sitting for a while. I'll repost in a few days.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds good.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:49 PM
TomSawyer is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to get back and post the results of the tranny repair. After changing the governor, I finally got the time to do the service on the transmission, dang that fluid was dirty. Sure enough the transmission didn't want to shift smoothly and the shift points were at much higher RPMs, but it was shifting into all gears. Earl, the transmission guy, said to keep driving it to circulate the fluid and allow the new fluid to lubricate the sticky ball valves and also let the new filter to help "clean up" what fluid was left in the tranny. He said, "Hold the accelerator to the floor and keep it there, it will shift just before redline". After doing this several times the transmission was shifting much better. Forcing the transmission to shift at such high RPMs caused very high pressure in the valve body pushing any dirt and debris out. Drove it for two days and the transmission is now shifting like new. I fixed the transmission for about 50 bucks. Thanks to everyone, this is a great forum!!

Last edited by TomSawyer; 04-18-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds good!