Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission-NO SHIFTING INTO PARK.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 05:13 PM
Starting Member
S10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transmission-NO SHIFTING INTO PARK.

Ok, so today, I wanted to wear boots. I rarely drive with big boots, I always have comfortable, and light sneakers. Since I wore boots, I was moving my truck today, and somehow, it felt like I was pressing my brake pedal, when I really wasn't, and I shifted my truck into park without holding the brake pedal. The truck was moving very slow, which is why I did not feel it moving. As a result, my truck does not shift into park. Now when I put the shifter all the way up, the "P" does not light up on my dash. When I put the shifter all the way up, only the "R" stays lit. Everytime I go to start the truck, I have to put it in Neutral, and then turn it on. The only thing keeping my truck from rolling away is my E-brake. And now, I have noticed that to shift down, the brake does not need to be pressed, it just shifts down. Also, I cannot open my rear hatch, because it is only activated when the truck is in Park. My mechanic told me that he is going to take a look at it tomorrow. I have heard that something could have been snapped or broken. Do any of you guys know what I exactly screwed up, and about how much it would cost to fix?

Old 11-13-2007, 01:34 PM
Starting Member
S10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Transmission-NO SHIFTING INTO PARK.

Just got back from the mechanic. It is the Transmission Shift Cable.

Now I just got my truck back. I had the cable replaced. It shifts better than ever now. Now, the shifter "clicks" through every gear like it should. My mechanic showed me the old cable. It had snapped into two pieces. Now, to finish it all off, I am going to get the U-joints replaced tomorrow, so that that annoying clunking noise can stop.