Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

transmission swap

Old 09-16-2012, 03:30 PM
blazingva is on a distinguished road
Default transmission swap

hello, i need some help. i need to replace a transmission on a 2002 chevy blazer 4x4 that i got from a junkyard. i am a backyard mechanic so bear with me please. i got the haynes manual and one question i have is it says to mark the torque converter when taking out the transmission, what happens if the transmission is from a junkyard and it is not marked for balancing?

Old 09-16-2012, 08:52 PM
roypai is on a distinguished road

Did a rebuild myself, never marked it (forgot), its back in and working fine. Pretty sure the TCC is a neutral balance - one other thing: burn the haynes manual. Get a Chiltons or something. Hyanes used to be good but then they started recycling their pics and procedures - I went through SO MANY u-joint strap bolts because that damn book spec'd them to be torqued to 50 ft-lbs or something. Finally looked it up in a generic 'this size bolt of this grade with this thread pitch' machinist's handbook - I think it was 12-15 ft-lbs max. - by that point i had actually made a tool just for getting the busted bolts out.

There were other things too that have slipped my mind where the the haynes says to 'do this' but never said how to do it, or the order of operations was bassakwards - do A then B but in real life its impossible to do A until B is done etc.

It never said how to undo the flexplate bolts without the whole plate rotating as you try to turn the bolt. - I think i got creative with a prybar through the holes in the flexplate... others may have better suggestions....

Old 09-17-2012, 06:43 PM

thank you for the reply, so you think it is neutral balanced ans so i don't need to worry

Old 09-17-2012, 08:25 PM
roypai is on a distinguished road

yup - 99% sure its neutral balance, wouldn't worry about it - oh and don't forget to do the rear main oil seal on the engine while you're in there, if it starts leaking a month from now the transmission's gotta come back out to change it.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:28 PM

thanks. that makes me feel better.