Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission swap need info

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 01:27 AM
toadfrogjr is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission swap need info

I am new to this forum So hello everyone. I am looking into buying my first Chevy S10 Blazer. The year is 1999
It is your typical 2 door or 4 door.

What type of transmission do these things have in them?

is it the 700r4 or is it the 4l60e?

If it is the 4l60e trans then here is my next question.

I have a 99 Pontiac Trans Am with LS1 motor issue but a freshly rebuilt 4l60e stage 3 transmission in it. Would I be able to just simply "plug and play" onto the the blazer so to speak? Or is there tuning or additional electrical junk that needs to be put/installed in?

And final question...
I also have a Vigilante Torque Converter multi disk with lockup to go along with the 4l60e trans. Is that still Compatible as well?

Thank You all for your help and info

Old 10-29-2009, 08:52 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Same exact transmission provided the Blazer is 2wd. If it is 4wd, the output shaft will be different.

As far as the torque converter goes, the stall speed may not be proper for the 4.3L's torque curve, but it would work. Just wouldn't be as efficient.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Same exact transmission provided the Blazer is 2wd. If it is 4wd, the output shaft will be different.

As far as the torque converter goes, the stall speed may not be proper for the 4.3L's torque curve, but it would work. Just wouldn't be as efficient.
What is the torque curve for these vehicles?

and thank you for the input

Old 10-29-2009, 12:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What do you mean? What information are you looking for?

Old 10-29-2009, 12:51 PM

What do you mean? What information are you looking for?
I am curious what the rpm power band is, because if the specs on this TC is to much it wouldnt be worth while throwing it in there

Old 10-29-2009, 01:04 PM
Administrator

I think you mean what the stall speed of the stock converter is. I believe it should be around 1400RPM stock. As far as what you would want to go with behind a 4.3L, that is likely a better question for a transmission service like TCIAuto.com. They have a pretty good tech line.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:06 PM

I think you mean what the stall speed of the stock converter is. I believe it should be around 1400RPM stock. As far as what you would want to go with behind a 4.3L, that is likely a better question for a transmission service like TCIAuto.com. They have a pretty good tech line.

Thanks I will check out that website.
My stall is a 3200. Which for a trans am is actually a good street/strip converter but not sure how it would act in a blazer with a 4.3l v6

Old 09-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Blazer Steve is on a distinguished road

97 Chevy S10 Blazer 4.3L engine with 4L60E transmission has default stall of 2000-2400 which is factory high stall which is used by Corvette, 4.3L Blazer, Jimmy, and Astro Van.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:28 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

I believe the converter has a different bolt-pattern to bolt up to the LS1 flexplate. You can however use the converter off the Blazer on the 4L60E out of the Trans Am. The input shafts are the same between the two.

It would be a plug'n play as far as the transmission itself is concerned. I am just throwing up that flag as far as the converter fitting.

I think you should just give that LS1/4L60E to me instead though. I'll give you a 4L60E/TC with less than 200 miles on it in exchange. LOL