Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

4.3 swap info needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 12:58 AM
neogeo92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4.3 swap info needed

Hi all. I just got a '94 S-10 Blazer with the 4.3 W code. It is bad. Today, I was given a 4.3 out of an 88 or 89 S-10 pickup. My question is, will this motor drop right into my blazer, or will I have to change anything on it. From what we checked on the motor in the Blazer now, it has a bad head gasket, and the 3 and 4 cylinders only have 80 psi of pressure in them. There is also a small knock in the motor. This is why I would just rather switch motors, cause the other motor I know is running fine. Eventually, when I get more money, I will rebuild the '94s motor to like new condition. But right now I just need something for winter. I need some suggestions, and some help if possible. I have been reading around here the past couple of days, and love this forum. The people here are very informative, and helpful. Thanks in advance!!!

Tim

Old 09-26-2005, 01:56 AM
Talusgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 4.3 swap info needed

Hi and welcome to the forum! Have you read all my posts regarding knock and engine swapping? I've had great input by these guys (and moonwater ) and hopefully you can use some (I realize they aren't the same) of the knowledge that was given in my situation. I for one am extremely impressed with the wealth of knowledge these guys have. And they aren't jerks "guarding secrets".

Old 09-26-2005, 12:30 PM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: Talusgirl

(and moonwater )
Oh please...I have nothing to say...these guys are the REAL helpful ones...

Old 09-26-2005, 01:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to think that an 88-89 4.3L would work in a 94. One possibility would be that you may be able to use the older block... One problem that possibly could prohibit this swap is if your engine now has a balance shaft. You can swap out a balance shafted block with a non-balance shaft block (the 88-89 did not have a balance shaft). I'm unsure of other differences, but it doesn't look like there are major differences that would prohibit this. You would really have to get them both side by side to make sure that they would work. Things you need to check out are the accessory mounting holes in the heads & waterpump housing.

Old 09-26-2005, 08:29 PM
neogeo92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for the replies!!! A little update: Today, I found out that the S-10 "donor", is a carburated '87 model. What I was thinking, is that we could take that block, and use the heads and intake system from my Blazer to make it work. I was reading somewhere, where you could go around the internal balancer, and things should work fine. Dont know if it will work or not, but worth a try. I'm new to working on Chevy trucks, as I used to work on import cars, not rice either, lol. Thanks again, and keep the responses coming!!!

Tim

Old 09-27-2005, 12:13 AM
Talusgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Moonwater, I didn't want to exclude you!

Old 09-27-2005, 01:36 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Back on topic... Anyway, I think that the only exterior difference between the 87 block and the 94 block may be ears for the transmission support bars... I'm not completely sure on that. Even if your block has a balance shaft, I don't think you will run into problems running with a donor block that does not. The only thing that you may notice is slightly more vibration from the donor engine. I do believe that all of your stuff from the 94 should bolt up to the 87 block, but you'd want to really compare all parts involved in the swap (ie. compare the 87 heads to the 94 heads including the water jacket holes and any bolt holes, etc).

Good luck

Old 09-27-2005, 02:12 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Back on topic... Anyway, I think that the only exterior difference between the 87 block and the 94 block may be ears for the transmission support bars... I'm not completely sure on that. Even if your block has a balance shaft, I don't think you will run into problems running with a donor block that does not. The only thing that you may notice is slightly more vibration from the donor engine. I do believe that all of your stuff from the 94 should bolt up to the 87 block, but you'd want to really compare all parts involved in the swap (ie. compare the 87 heads to the 94 heads including the water jacket holes and any bolt holes, etc).

Good luck
That's what I am hoping. From what I understand, the major differnece will ge the intakes. They changed the angle where the heads and intake meet. However I think as long as you use the heads and intake from the same engine you will OK.

As for a '87 carburated engine into a fuel injected engine. You will also have to swap water pumps, timing covers, and all the accessories. The multibelt setup will not work with the fuel injection serpintine set-up. All of that must be changed, unless you ant to run a carb'd engine. Then just scrap all teh fuel injection stuff, unless you have to pass emmisions.