Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

transmission and transfer vacuum lines

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 11:52 PM
Tortex53 is on a distinguished road
Default transmission and transfer vacuum lines

After removing the transmission to replace the freeze plugs on the back of the block, I am working on reinstalling everything. I have three vacuum lines that attach to a connector, and I see where those are supposed to plug into the transfer case. However, about six inches before the connector, there is a T-fitting on one of the lines with about three inches of hose coming off of it. However, this line is just open and doesn't go anywhere. That doesn't sound right too me. Is this a mistake? Also there is a small tube coming out of the tops of both the transmission and the transfer case; both have about 3" of tube that goes nowhere. Are these vent lines, or are they supposed to connect to something? Thanks for your help.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:36 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What are you working on?

That 't' should go to the transfer case vent. The transmission vent doesn't typically connect to anything.

Why did you need to replace the cam & balance shaft bore covers? Were they leaking oil? Of the 4.3L engines that I have pulled, none had water jacket freeze plugs back there.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Tortex53 is on a distinguished road

I have a '95 W-code 4X4 Blazer. For some reason I thought that information posted in my "signature." What is the best way to add that to my posts?

The reason why I removed the transmission is because I was leaking coolant from my bell-housing. The freeze plugs on the sides of the block, closest to the rear were definitely leaking. Having seen on here that '95 blocks had two freeze plugs on the rear of the block, I assumed that those plugs were the culprits for the large amount of coolant that was coming out of my bell-housing.

Well, after having gone to all the work of pulling the transmission, I found out that the plugs on the back of the block were fine, and the coolant was dripping down from the sides, running along the oil pan gasket, and dripping from around the crank into the bell-housing. I don't know how I could have found that out without removing the transmission, but it would have been nice!

I didn't actually replace any of the freeze plugs on the rear of the block, but there appeared to be four of them. Are those the "cam and balance shaft bore covers" covers that you're talking about and not really freeze plugs at all?

Old 10-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that the 95 and earlier blocks had freeze plugs in the bell housing area. The 96+ blocks do not. The middle two 'plugs' are not freeze plugs, just core plugs.