Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

unpleasant knock!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 08:56 PM
joyful_c is an unknown quantity at this point
Default unpleasant knock!

Got a very unpleasant knock coming from what appears to be the passenger side/front of the motor. sounds like it could be a rod but the dumb thing seams to be running fine otherwise. Knock almost disapears @ 55 mph. In case it matters, it is a "96"w/4.3 and 214,000 miles. Any ideas ?

Old 10-23-2007, 09:21 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road
Default RE: unpleasant knock!

This may solve your problem if you hear it when its cold.

THREAD: ticking noise

[blockquote]
ORIGINAL: BrianMichaels1
I can hear my ticking noise inside the vehicle (though most people can't hear it no matter how hard you try and make them). But it only ticks for about 15-20 seconds after the engine is started, and as Justin stated, it only does it if the engine is starting cold.
[/blockquote]
ORIGINAL: Lastcoupe

Ok guys I HOPE this is your problem, I'm pretty confident that it is BrianMichaels problem, cause this is a cold-engine only concern that I found on several 2000-2002 Blazers back when they were new. The next time you start your blazer cold pop your hood and have someone handy to assist.Sart your truck and make sure you hear the noise, if it's there have them move you accelerator cable off of the PCV tube and see if the noise quits. The noise I'm talking about is actually the PCV rattling which is normal, but it transmits to the passenger compartment because the accel. cable istouching it. If that's your noise, just get a zip-tie and secure the cable away from the PCV tube. Let me know if this helps.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:05 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Would be nice if it was just the PCV valve noise, but due to the fact that the OP is stating that it is coming from the engine while listening underhood makes me think that it is either a rod knock or a lifter not priming up. The description of a true 'knock' doesn't sound good. A lifter will be more like a tapping noise, but a rod would be a knock/clunk. The PCV valve noise is heard in the cab of the vehicle, not underhood, and is typically referred to as a stripped gear type ticking noise.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:17 PM
joyful_c is an unknown quantity at this point

oh yah, it is definitly a knock. Does anyone know if we can pull the pan without completely pulling the engine? Back in the day, we couldunbolt motor mounts and pick it up enough to remove oil pan and check things out. Would sure make things a bit easier. Hoping to get time to work on it this weekend.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can pull the pan on a '96 as it is the older stamped steel pan, but you will have to pull the motor mount bolts and jack up the motor some how.. And I can't guarantee you'll get enough room to pull the pan completely off. The front axle is TIGHT to the pan!

Old 10-24-2007, 05:58 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

If its a rod knock you should have metallic shavings or "glitter" in the oil, every motor ive thrown a rod on( its been more then a dozen) has always shown this. My 92 has the same "knock" you are describing and ive had them in other motors as well and those other times its ended up being a lifter tick, usually starting around 2200rpms and stops once the gears shift.

before the slamming starts those motors ive thrown rods on have all had over 450 hp and all blew up at the track.

My "knock" I have now did disappear for a while with thicker oil and the noise comes from the passenger side head area. It is also a 4.3