Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

valve cover vent?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 12:43 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default valve cover vent?

I tried to search but I donteven know what this thing is called so Im sorry if this has already been covered. On the valve cover (drivers side) on my 1986 2.8L engine, there is a hole with a tube coming out of it which connects to the intake manifold. What is that called? and what is its purpose?

Old 08-27-2008, 01:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: valve cover vent?

Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve and corresponding tube. The PCV valve opens with crankcase pressure to vent the pressure, directing it into the intake so that the entrapped oil and combustion byproducts do not exit the system before being burned up.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:56 PM

my PCV is on the passengers side valve cover. should I have 2?

Old 08-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The PCV valve will have a vacuum source off of the intake manifold itself. The vent for the crankcase will have just a tube that runs from the valve cover to the air cleaner (intake duct in the case of the CPI) so it can pull in fresh, filtered air.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:44 PM

??? im very confused. My PCV has a direct line to the TBI, not the intake manifold. The direct line to the air cleaner is what Im talking about. I wasnt even sure if that is where it was supposed to go. I need to replace that line. Is it supposed to be just pushed into the hole, or should there be a fitting on the valve cover that it connects to?

Old 08-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Yeah, what I meant was the intake under the throttle blades. That sees manifold vacuum so it could either be in the intake itself or to the TB like yours is. My old '85 S10 2.8L had it go into a fitting just below the feedback carb.

You can take the vent which goes into the filter housing and just put its own small filter onto it.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:34 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Yeah, what I meant was the intake under the throttle blades. That sees manifold vacuum so it could either be in the intake itself or to the TB like yours is. My old '85 S10 2.8L had it go into a fitting just below the feedback carb.

You can take the vent which goes into the filter housing and just put its own small filter onto it.
Leave the vent attached to the breather or CAI. I ran a filter vent for awhile and they seep oil out of them all over the vavle cover and exhaust manifold.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:48 AM
Administrator

If the PCV valve is not operating correctly, this can happen. This vent should only be there to allow the air into the motor. Also, when using a filter for the vent, you should make up some sort of baffled tube for the air to travel through so the oil has a chance to get out before it gets to the filter material.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:29 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Stock valve cover (with baffle) and had new PVC valve. I at first thought that might have been it also.

Prolly just blowby on a motor with 200+k miles on it. Still not a big fan of the filters.