Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Valvoline MAXLIFE FULL Synthetic Oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Beginning Member
phate422 is on a distinguished road

Hmm, and purolator is cheaper.. I havent watched the videos but ive always used fram and my last trucks motor is still going at 300k with always using standard top of the line non synthetic. with fram but ill have to check them out. As far as how long the motors typically last.. I am not sure.. I havent searched to many engine issues but of all the complaints of these things the engine is almost never at the top of the list. but having a guarantee for 300k wouldnt be bad if youre willing to replace the tranny at some point along the way along with a lotta other stuff... 300k miles is a whole lot on the entire vehicle.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:08 AM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by phate422
Hmm, and purolator is cheaper.. I havent watched the videos but ive always used fram and my last trucks motor is still going at 300k with always using standard top of the line non synthetic. with fram but ill have to check them out. As far as how long the motors typically last.. I am not sure.. I havent searched to many engine issues but of all the complaints of these things the engine is almost never at the top of the list. but having a guarantee for 300k wouldnt be bad if youre willing to replace the tranny at some point along the way along with a lotta other stuff... 300k miles is a whole lot on the entire vehicle.
300k? Wow.

Do the trannies usually last that long? I got a cooler and Lucas in the fluid. When I had it flushed last year, I had a whole bottle put in. When I had a deep pan put in this year, I only had them put in a 1/2 bottle so there isn't too much in there. I also have MAXLIFE fluid in there, which says DEXRON III/VI on the back. The fluid usually gets changed every 15k (severe service. Long story. ).

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 05-29-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:34 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ComputerNerdBD
I have actually saved money doing my own oil changes with synthetic oil with a quality filter compared to having them done at an oil change place (they screw things up big time sometimes)...
I work at an oil change place, and have seen other places do some screwy things when we get somebody from another place. The issue is quality control. Many places don't give a damn how well the work is done.
I know I may sound like I'm gloating, but I treat every customer's car as if it was my own. I make sure to do the job I am supposed to, and have even talked with the other guys at my shop to have them straighten up. Since then, we've had a huge improvement in customer satisfaction. The owner even told us that for the past 2 years, (which is how long I've been there) he has never gotten so many compliments on how courteous we are, and how well we treated the customer. Like I said, it depends on who works there, and how much pride they take in doing the job.

However, no place will beat the price and quality of doing your own oil change.

Last edited by cbr995; 05-29-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Beginning Member

I really cant imagine an auto tranny lasting 300k miles without needing a rebuild at some point. 200k seems like it would be pretty high and would take a lot of babying, but im just guessing. Taking care of it is the key to getting the most out of it and it sounds like thats what youre doing.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:22 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by phate422
I really cant imagine an auto tranny lasting 300k miles without needing a rebuild at some point. 200k seems like it would be pretty high and would take a lot of babying, but im just guessing. Taking care of it is the key to getting the most out of it and it sounds like thats what youre doing.
If a transmission is running cool, is that a good sign? I could touch the pan (I have a deep pan on this truck) or the transmission cooler and hold my finger there for several seconds before it starts to get too hot to keep it there. The fluid stays bright pink for the full 15k before I have the fluid changed. I normally have the filter done every 30k (good enough?). Basically there is very very little difference in color between new fluid and the 15k old fluid. Now there is still a bit of black residue on the dipstick, but it isn't in the fluid. I also have a magnetic drain plug on the pan, in addition to the one transplanted from the old pan.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Beginning Member

Not sure why you seem to treat your tranny so lovingly, but I assume there has to be something behind that but I would say at the rate youre going, without any defective parts which probably wouldve shown themselves by this point... your transmission might outlast every other part on your truck =))

Old 06-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Beginning Member
reddheadnla is on a distinguished road

I am going to have to check out the guarranty you are talking about. What do you have to do? My 93 only has 101,000 on it. Thanks.