Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

violent jerking

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 10:06 PM
swanman35 is on a distinguished road
Default violent jerking

Well big red(blazer) is sick starting from a stop it violently jerks while accelerating unless I give it a lot of gas, then it operates as normal. It will do it if I have my foot down about an inch on the gas while driving(not from a start). It doesn't really seem to matter what th e rpms are. When I give it more gas it doesn't do it. So I need your help to diagnose this problem.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:11 PM

Oh and it only does it sometimes! Worst was today(the coldest day in a while) idk if that matters

Old 03-03-2013, 10:30 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

what have you done to it lately?
check plugs and wires?
cap and rotor?

Old 03-03-2013, 10:41 PM

LIM gasket replaced, and put new plugs in. My distributor cap where the screw goes in to hold it down is cracked off, so I do need a new one, and I'll just change the rotor while I'm doing that. The wires are good also, but I will be changing them to newer ones within a few months. Could the cap make that big of a difference?

Old 03-04-2013, 04:04 PM

New cap and rotor and it's still doing it, not as bad. I'm going to autozone with it tomorrow so They can run codes.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:16 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Well the new cap and rotor having helped may have pointed ya in a direction. Are all the plugs gapped and torqued properly? Wires securly snapped on at the ends?

Old 03-05-2013, 05:44 AM

I do believe ao, I will check again. Hopefully that's all it is! I'll update when I check, thanks for the help!

Old 03-05-2013, 09:15 AM
Starting Member
mrspeedy69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you use AC Delco parts?

Old 03-05-2013, 07:03 PM

No, duralast. 5 year warranty so I couldn't turn it down. I got the codes at autozone the one that's causing jt is p1345 I believe. So it's out of time, which makes sense because I spent an hour timing it. So Thursday I'll mess with it and attempt to time it correctly. I had 3 other codes as well, but one was for a speed sensor it said was missing, and something for the dash I think.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

P1345 means the distributor is off a tooth. That's probably what's causing the poor performance too. Lose the Duralast stuff. They put a 5 year warranty on it so people will buy it, that doesn't make the quality any better. Get AC Delco and have a shop adjust your camshaft retard to spec.

Quick Reply: violent jerking