Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Water pump question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 08:00 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Water pump question?

Has anyone here had any problems when they replaced their water pump to find that the gaskets between the block and pump keep blowing out!!!! This is now twice this has happened to me in the past couple of months, I replace the water pump today from a real auto part store instead of autozone which is where the other pump was from... The gasket was actually getting cut along the edges of the pump, and it wasnt overtightened either.. Thanks Boyz...

Old 02-08-2008, 08:22 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Water pump question?

Are you using rtv with it at all??? Also are you making sure all prior material is cleaned away prior to putting on a new pump??

Old 02-08-2008, 10:47 PM
94blazer4.3ho is an unknown quantity at this point

yes!!! replace the fan clutch I know it sounds wired but that is it. The fan clutch is out of balance, and sort of jiggle the gaskets loose. Thats what my proplem was, exeptI had to replace the radiator because the fan come off the water pump, and put a hole in it. But hey every thing worked out hope this help.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:02 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

What I find that works for me.
Scrap all the old gasket material off.
Use a shop vac to suck some of the water in the block holes out. If you dont, no amount of gasket sealer will stop the leaking.
Clean both mating surfaces with brake parts cleaner. You want both mating surfaces bare metal clean with no gouges, burrrs, etc.
Use teflon tape ont eh water pump bolts, couple of them go into the water jacket and the water will seep out through the threads.
Place a thin layer (spread it around with your finger so that it is about 1/16" thick) of RTV on the pump and place the gasket on top. Spread another layer of RTV on the gasket, carefull not to tear it, or move it out of place.
Slide a bolt through one hole and slide the pump into place. Doesn't hur tto practice sliding the pump into place without the gasket on it first so you learn how not to hit the gasket on the way in.
Tighten to goodentight specs. Let it sit over night or as long as recommended on teh RTV.
Once the RTV cures, then add coolant.

Take your time, its frustrating as hell when it leaks. Sure its a simple job, however there are some pitfalls that suck if you try to take short cuts.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:06 AM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for the ideas on this annoying problem....

Old 02-09-2008, 08:44 AM
FreeBird is an unknown quantity at this point

as for the ATV gasket maker, I would use the gray. Works wonderul for pumkin covers and other areas where they are known to blow out or give way. Makes it kind of hard to remove the next time (I have to use my biggest rubber hammer to help preswade it loose), but worth it in the long run.