Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

what is this??

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 11:45 PM
Beginning Member
waldon005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what is this??

Can someone tell me what this is and what its function is?

Attached Thumbnails what is this??-aut_2455.jpg  

Last edited by waldon005; 05-17-2009 at 11:46 PM. Reason: adding picture
Old 05-18-2009, 03:05 AM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point

3-4 accumulator. had to google that one too.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That is the accumulator cover. Directly inside of it you will find the 1-2 accumulator piston and related springs. On the transmission case side of the separator plate, you will find the 3-4 accumulator piston, spring, and the accumulator pin.

I hope you know what you are doing in there...

Old 05-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Beginning Member

i dont know what i am doing in there swartlkk. lol I had a shifting problem in there and i dropped the pan to check some solenoids and i noticed the cover was loose. Would that cause me problems shifting from 2nd to third? The tranny shifts fine from 1 to 2 but shifting from 2 to 3 it just slips really bad. Would that cause the slip feeling in the tranny being loose? I can grab it and wiggle it pretty good. Id hate to have a tranny rebuilt if i can just tighten this down and it work. I doubt it will with the luck i have

Old 05-18-2009, 09:40 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

If you don't know what you're doing, that is one thing you definitely don't want to touch.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:02 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

^^ agreed, the transmission is the last place you wanna be grabing and wiggling things around if you dont know wat ur doing.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:08 PM
Beginning Member

then its a good thing i didnt take it off. Its just loose on the original tranny. I took the pan off of the transmission and noticed it was loose. I DO NOT plan on taking anything apart. I just want to know if i tighten it up would it be possible for the tranny to stop slipping into third gear?
So my question is if this part was tight what would be chances that the transmission would shift from second gear into third gear without slipping?

Old 05-18-2009, 10:09 PM
Beginning Member

Lmao!! you guys act like im reaching in blind and jerkin things around. I just noticed it was loose.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

When you post a picture of a transmission that does not have the valve body installed, then follow that up with your statement about not knowing what you are doing inside there... Well, it makes me shudder to think of the possibilities for further damage.

To answer your question about the accumulator cover. It should not be loose. You could try tightening the bolts that hold it down to see if it impacts your shift performance. It is possible.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:48 PM
Beginning Member

absolutely correct swartlkk. I should have mentioned that the picture wasnt actually the tranny i took the pan off of. The tranny i took the pan off of is still in the truck. Swartlkk I thank you very much for your input. To the others who replied to this I appreciate your time and effort.
Thank you