Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

What is the normal oil pressure??

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 10:52 AM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: What is the normal oil pressure??

What's wrong with Fram? I've been using 'em the whole time and haven't had a problem.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:13 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my take on Fram:
They were once considered a standard in the industry, but about 10-15 years ago started developing a reputation for very cheap, poor construction and failure during service. Within the last 5 years or so their top-line models appear to have shown more control and quality in their construction, but the standard models have not improved. The oil filter is a part that I certainly would not want to leave to chance. The models that have improved have also had an increase in price and gimmickry, i.e. the added Teflon (PTFE) inside the filter media which is useless and perhaps harmful to the engine's internals.
I would rather pay a lower price and get filters with better reputations (Wix, Purolator, AC Delco). Bear inmind that I'm not saying you will kill your engine with Frams, I just choose not to chance it.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

Point well taken. Frams no more...

Old 04-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

I've been running Fram Tough Guard for 4 yrs now and zero issues but I am going to look into that about fram. As for PSI when cold the truck is at 40 psi or sometimes higher and when hot at idle its sitting at 25 or 30 psi. Thats just an estimated psi when hot.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:09 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

UPDATE:

Had oil & filter changed on the Blazer today. Went with Mobil 10-30 & added a 1/2 quart of Lucus. It seemed to make a world of difference in pressure. It is much more stable. In stead of just dropping from 40 PSI to 20 PSI when slowing down it drops slowly. I'm getting about 5-7 PSI better pressure. No knocking or noise anymore. I can't believe that the Lucas made that much differece. I went from 10-40 to 10-30 then added the Lucas. I'm no stranger to Lucas. I have run it for years in different vehicles. It makes some but not like I'm seeing now. So I believe that Napa oil have changed in the last serveral months.
Think about it, Napa oil 2.09/qt in the last 5 years it has gone from 1.89/qt to the present price. With oil going up as it has they can't keep a price low without cutting corners. I bought Valvoline today at Napa 3.29/qt.
I have always been one of these guys oil is oil, well Iam going to have to admit I may of been wrong. I will buy my oil from WalMart after this Napa is too high but I wanted to exchange some cases of Napa oil for Valvoline so I had to pay the higher price which is OK.
As for Fram Filters you guys are 100% correct. I know a mechanical engineer that did a personal test of some filters & he told me the worse filter on the market was FRAM PERIOD in his mind based on his personal test. So if an engineer feels that way I figured I better take notice.
Allied Signal bought FRAM, AUTOLITE, & SOME OTHER BRAND NAMES several years back I have seen BAD RESULTS of THEIR PRODUCTS over the years. AUTOLITE PLUGS are junk IMO. I put a set in an 02 Dakota 4x4 a few years ago with in 18,000 miles they were burned to nothing.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:00 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer Castrol GTX (1st choice)or Valvoline oils and Fram filters.

been running Frams for 25 years or so without issue. Tahs two vehicles for 15 of those years and 5 vehciles for teh past 5 years. Zero issues.
My last 4.3L engine had 286,000 miles on it before I totaled out the vehicle. My current truck has 155,000 miles on it. Zero issues.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:10 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't mean to turn this into a fram topic again, but yah as for filtering I really dont know if they are worse. There construction now is much worse I my mothers sable the flange warps with them(and on the taurus/sable forums this is very common issue) and I have had to practically tear apart the crumpled thin filter twice. If you have a little scale that measures to the oz you will see the weight difference among the filters. Hopefully this topic is done since 4x4 fixed his problems and it wont turn into another fram monster topic.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:22 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

I have had good luck with NAPA oils for 20 years, But it only takes once to cost you an engine. As with Fram I'm not willing to take that chance. I read hundred of posts on different forums & FRAM is not spoke of in the same terms AS GOOD. Even the oil forums that have tested them over & over continue to say stay away from them. It is a personal thing I guess. But I find it real interesting that so many on here talk about NOT BUYING CHEAP PARTS, BUY OEM, BUY OEM, Yet Fram is popular. You can buy AC DELCO FILTERS at WalMart as cheap or cheaper than FRAM. I guess I don't get it.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:07 PM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

This page http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar...reference.htmlhas some good info on oil filters

Old 05-17-2008, 01:33 PM
94_SBlazer is an unknown quantity at this point

lucas is A miracle worker lol....