Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Which would be better and cheaper

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 12:44 AM
Beginning Member
stonecoldsteele is on a distinguished road
Default Which would be better and cheaper

I want to rebuild the engine in my 94 S10 Blazer. Had several people tell me it would be better to buy a new engine and have it put in. Also plan on rebuilding the transmission also but would it be better to buy a new one and have it put in?

Old 08-09-2014, 05:13 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

That depends, if you rebuild you can and some extra horse power, cam shaft, port work etc. as for the trans. rebuild if cheaper

Old 08-09-2014, 09:50 PM
Tranzman is on a distinguished road

Rebuilding the engine is better if you want to add some H/P to your ride. it takes longer to rebuild. A rebuilt or crate motor is faster. you could just add a low mileage take out V-8 and get both. depending on your skill level and friends you could put a 4.8, 5.3 or 6.0 in it with a computer. because it's a 94 you don't need a emissions test in most states so you can use any SB with a carburetor and distributor. as far as the transmission goes talk to a reputable trans guy about what you decide and he can build your trans to your new engine. I do it all the time, the last one was a 6.0L in a 2000 2WD EXT with a 4L60E and a 4:10 posi.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

You also have to take into account of whether you will be doing the work yourself or paying a shop to do it all. Labor fees can add up really quick and often cost more than the parts themselves.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:47 AM
Beginning Member

I am going to have someone to do it. I just want to keep the 4.3L V6 that is in it. It has enough power for me. So I guess I will just go with rebuilding both.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

What is wrong with them that they need to be rebuilt?

Old 08-11-2014, 05:16 AM
Beginning Member

Engine is leaking oil and transmission I think is leaking too. Plus almost 170k miles on both.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:21 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Its a blazer , its supposed to leak oil! Really though , no reason to rebuild or replace. Fix the leaks instead

Old 08-15-2014, 09:50 PM
Beginning Member
Ryan Johnson is on a distinguished road

depends where its leaking oil from, if its the rear mail seal, its pretty much, just rebuild it.

the questions, I think should always be asked or talked about.

on a rebuild, how much cylinder is left ? can it be bored again ? the price of a good set of pistons/rings for just a top end rebuild. and gaskets.
the cost right there, can sometimes be what a new crate motor can be.

On the other hand, a true rebuild, is getting the crank checked and replacing the crank bearings. freeze plugs, ect. and if the crank is worn, added in a few more $$ for a new crank.

We have not even gotten to the lifter/ valve job, ect.

Unless you got someone very good doing it, and the labor for free or dirt cheap.

the cost to rebuild it right, is going to exceed the cost of a crate motor.

Now,

On the other hand. a crate motor is not a performance motor. I think this is what some postings comments, meant to say, but was not worded that way.

Crate motors, unless spec, a high end performance motor. is a motor that was rebuild or was done, but means spec, does not mean they used the best parts or that the life of that motor will be of that of a factory new motor.

Personally, if you are not gonna, mud or hot rod it, then a crate motor, which has some warranty to it. would be the way to go.

If you are gonna hot rod it, mud with it, ect. then rebuild it, with good parts.

I have personally seen a few friends over the years, who thought they were engine rebuilders and allot of money spent and did not do it right and that motor/s. were lucky to make it 20,000 miles.

The great thing about a good machine shop, is they will do allot of the mic/ing and ect and get it right, with the new parts, but its not free.

I do hope this provides a better fuller reply for you to consider.

Trans-

I have used them from a junk yard and had one rebuild before. (this was not blazer, im new to blazers, just got my first used one last week)..

I had my ford f150 tranny rebuild, for $1,000, I had a high performance lock out and a (good quality shift kit installed) naturally this was a older trans and not the new ones with the solenoids on them.

To me, rebuilding a new auto tranny, takes someone who is very good at it. I have seen friends work on them and I know, hay, that's way out of my league level.

I guess if you got deep pockets, get a new one or a professional rebuilt one with a warranty.

Keep in mind, your old solenoids and ect, may be part of the problem and they don't come with them, you have to buy them and install new ones, or use the old ones.

and for the junk yard clan, well anything that's been sitting for awhile, I don't know id buy one, unless they had a warranty or sometime of return policy. seals dry up, worst thing you can do it let a vehicle sit.

hop my comments are not gruff and can help.