Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Your transmission two cents...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 01:53 AM
Starting Member
Lefet is on a distinguished road
Default Your transmission two cents...

So the tranny had been acting up, getting on the parkway and some times not wanting to go above 40 mph. Long story short, it appears I need a new clutch pack. ( 1994 Blazer S10 4WD with 85k miles) I'm kind of at a loss here as to what to do so any advice would be appreciated. Even if I haven't asked that particular question. So, new tranny, rebuilt, or repair? I've been doing some research on here and it appears it can be repaired. I'm in no way manner shape or form up to that task. New is totally out of the question. So I try to find a used one. What should I look for, what should I stay away from? What's too many miles? How do I know if the one I get isn't going to need the same thing down the road? I've got so many thoughts/questions in my head so if this seems jumbled, forgive me. What should I expect to pay for a used one? Where should I look besides a junkyard? Is there anything else I should get along with the transmission? I just went through the ringer almost with the previous problem, which after spending quite a few dollars, the problem ended up being a broken spark plug wire. This needs to be a "one and done". If I get a rebuilt one, what should I make sure is upgraded? I read one of the threads about certain things that should be upgraded on these trannys. Is there another tranny that would be better in it's place? Does anyone know of anyone who rebuilds them in Jersey? I would like to have it repaired to ensure it's done correctly with the proper upgrades, I just don't know anybody. What should I expect to pay to have it installed?
You know, when I was thinking about writing this post, I had a million questions in my head I wanted to put down. Now that I'm here, I can't think of most of them. I'm really just so disappointed.
Anyhow, I guess if someone could tell me what I should make sure I look out for, what to stay away from, what to make sure gets done when it's switched, ( I remember one of the posts mentioning making sure some lines are flushed or something), I would greatly appreciate it. And like I said, just because I didn't ask it, doesn't mean it isn't welcomed advice. I really haven't made up my mind what I'm going to do yet, I just have to figure it out, make a decision, and get moving as once again, I'm stuck not at home.

Thanks

Old 06-03-2018, 05:03 AM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

Well being a 1994 kinda limits you to late 1993-1994 transmission. As that is the first of the 4L60E Transmission (electric version of 700R4). May prove to be hard to find used and price and availability is based on location. As far as the “one and done” repair again going to prove hard to get as you are dealing with a almost 25 year old vehicle and when you touch one part to repair it usually involves several other parts needing repair at the same time. If the vehicle overall is in good shape and in good repair I would look into a local transmission shop for rebuild. Do your research on the shops and reputation along with warranty and base the decision off that. If you simply shop for price you will unfortunately get what you pay for. I don’t want to come off as uncaring or mean, but you are up against some tough decisions. Sounds like from what posted that finances my be stretched tight. Believe me when I tell you that I couldn’t afford a repair of this type if I wasn’t in already in the business. If you do go the used route would you be doing the repair yourself or taking it to a repair shop? Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. My customers deal with this situation all the time and most of the time their anxiety level is through the roof at the time of failure and just need to stop and make informed decisions on the things I have mentioned. If you contact me through my Facebook page @Otto Matics I respond much quicker as I’m on it regularly.Good luck!

Old 06-04-2018, 01:11 PM
Starting Member

Thanks Transman for getting back to me. First, I've got my big boy pants on so please, don't hold back. That's exactly what I need is cold hard facts, regardless. Second, yes, I needed a couple of days just to wrap my mind around this, anxiety level 9.
Now, I do want to fix it. I've made a few calls and so far, having one shipped to me appears to be less expensive than someone taking this one out and rebuilding. But I'm going to make a few more calls. My mechanic that broke the news to me will swap the tranny for $500.00, so that's not a problem. I guess right now it's just finding the right one. Everyone I speak to seems to be familiar with this transmission and when they talk about rebuilding, they mention "the necessary upgrades". I remember reading a thread on here where someone, ( I believe it was you) detailed the necessary upgrades. The person was going to have their trans repaired and the bottom line was with about $200.00 in New parts and said necessary upgrades, they'd be good to go. I believe the person was going to repair it themselves . My question is, what exactly are the upgrades? What should I make sure is done? What should I stay away from? Anyone I should absolutely not deal with?
The vehicle belonged to my father in law who about 4 years ago had about $900.00 worth of work done to it. I'm really surprised this has happened. I've heard talk about Jasper Transmissions, anything you could tell me about them?
I guess at this point if you could outline the necessary upgrades and any other pertinent information I'd appreciate it. I'll be making calls the next couple of days so you'll be well aware of my decision when I pull the trigger.
Thank you so much for your time.

Old 06-08-2018, 05:17 AM
Starting Member

I have a question:
If the clutch pack is bad, will it exhibit the symptoms all the time? If it does it sporadically, could it be something else? Something electronic maybe?

Old 06-08-2018, 12:39 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

I you buy the trans from the shop that repairs it or have them rebuild the one that you have - then you get warranty on BOTH parts and LABOR. Gotta be worth something. Being too cheap can cost you more in the end if you have problems with a rebuilt unit.

If you buy a rebuilt trans yourself and then have trouble, you will end up paying for the R&R.

Last edited by LesMyer; 06-08-2018 at 12:41 PM.