General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Just a rant I guess..

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Little Roober is on a distinguished road
Default Just a rant I guess..

Back in December I had my transmission rebuilt because it wouldn't shift 2-3. Since then I've driven 8k miles.

It's been back to the shop under warranty twice since then. Now this time it'll be a week on Tuesday that I haven't had my truck.

I talked to two different managers. One was just a huge *** and the other one actually seemed to care. He said he was about to fire one or two of his mechanics because neither of them could fix the issue even though the trans has been in and out of my truck a half dozen times this week.

Is there anyone else that can't stand when someone else works on your truck? These people are driving me crazy.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:12 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i try to do all i can for three reasons...

1. i am cheap
2. i care about my ride to take the time and i am not being pressured by some time clock.
3. matter of pride.

i only would go to a shop if i absolutely had to, ex. when my elec problem popped up this summer. till that point my baby hadnt been in a shop since i bought her (7 yrs)

Old 10-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Little Roober is on a distinguished road

The only time I had someone else work on it was tire installation, radio and trans. I like knowing what's goin on inside. Working on one thing and finding a potential problem before it leaves you stranded is a blessing IMO.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:55 AM
Beginning Member
justintime is on a distinguished road

Agreed. I haven't been to a mechanic since I started changing my own oil 2 years ago. Got a bit obsessed with cars the last year of college and since have done top end rebuilds, transmission rebuilds, tranny and motor swaps, etc etc etc. Can't bear to let someone else touch my own vehicles anymore because:

1. They really just don't give a care besides getting their money
2. They want the job done fast, so the little details are often forgotten
3. Doing the job yourself allows for upgrades

On that note, sorry to hear about the tranny problems... I would be pretty upset if this were me. Not sure how long the warranty lasts, but I might even be so brazen as to ask for a partial refund for the time I'm losing without the vehicle after several times back in for warranty work.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:39 AM
Presti7 is an unknown quantity at this point

It could be because there is nothing wrong with your transmission.

1996 PCM #16208546 had an internal design flaw where the motherboard wasn't getting sufficient ground. Led to weak signals going to the transmission causing Tranny problems. GM has a wire harness repair kit which consists of a jumper wire and you have to move a couple of the wires around going into the computer.

Another fix is to replace PCM #16208546 with PCM #16244210, which had a redesigned motherboard.

GM #12167310, that's the part number for the wiring harness/PCM fix.

No backwoods tranny shop knows about the GM computer/wiring harness design flaw. They'll just keep changing trannies until you go away.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:24 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Bought my 98 for 900, Brakes, spider, tranny rebuild, all done by me. Book value 2450. I`m sitting around 1700 so far