Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

1985 blazer ignition to starter wiring probs

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 07:20 PM
Brandon Smith is on a distinguished road
Default 1985 blazer ignition to starter wiring probs

I recently bought a 1985 k5 blazer 4wd with a 350 in it but it had a 305 starter. so i swapped out the starter for one that fits got it all on and tight and went to start her and got nothing. lights came on but the starter did nothing. no clicking, no nothing. whoever had it before me put a push start in it and i had it started more than a few times before i pulled the starter. and the starter is new. theres so its not getting a signal from the ignition. if any one has any ideas throw them out there. Im new to the forum also. and the trucks name is Daisy.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:19 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Is there a way to use the push button start again? is there something you did when you put a different starter in there.

If you did nothing different, start tracing wires, look up electrical diagrams online to try and delete the push button from the truck.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:36 PM

yeah the push button is the only way to start the engine. the key has to be in the ignition and turned so the choke light comes on. we looked up a couple wiring diagrams and when we traced the wires i noticed they had a lot of oil on them and the wire i believe to be coming right from the button had a fuseable link on it that had quite a bit oil on it. would this affect it? the guy that had it before me did a lot of crappy wiring, so im trying not to make the same mistake.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:00 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

What I would do, is eliminate the push button start all together. it may take a bit of work, I am sure someone on this forum could help you with this.
I assume it would be as "easy" as tearing apart the column and hooking up the wires how they should be to the ignition switch, as I think that is all the push button really accomplishes is taking place the "start" function" on the ignition cylinder/switch.

So if you take apart the steering column and gained access to the ignition switch and went from there.

but to be honest, that is a complete guess of mine, since I have never had to deal with push button start.

Last edited by richphotos; 09-11-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:34 PM

i wash thinking about doing that. i mean its cool it has a push start, but itll just give more stress than its worth.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:03 PM
BF Veteran

it is just an extra step that is not needed really. I have seen many different ways of doing push start, and the way that you have it, is the most difficult way there could be. to put the key in, and turn it to the on position, and then push a button, is a bit more work than to just turn the key to "start" and it starts, and you are done.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:03 PM
Default 85 chevy blazer 350 starter issue

Ok im really frustrated and havent found anything on the forum to help me out yet so if there is a post im sorry and please reply with the link. Anyway the issue is i bought this truck and the starter in it doesnt catch the flywheel like its supposed to, itll catch when it wants to but m1 out of 3 times itll just grind. So i bought a new one and the new one doesnt even touch the flywheel. So i resorted to trying to shim the old starter since that one was closer than the new one and no luck yet. What am I doing wrong? is the starter drive too far away? Is it not going in far enough? I has no idea. PLease help. And the flywheel is in great shape, looks brand new actually. But im positive its the original engine and transmission.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:31 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

sounds like its still a shimming issue IF the starters ok. Dont bother taking it in to be tested,half the time they are bad even though they pass.