Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

1990 full size blazer

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 04:01 PM
XiaoPan is on a distinguished road
Default 1990 full size blazer

I wasnt sure where to post this question, i searched and found nothing on the subject..

I cant find a replacement transfer case anywhere.. A friend of a friends is really into trucks, but owns a bronco. He says i should just be able to disconnect, if not just remove the transfer case and drive it like normal. It will just be two wheel drive. Is this true for a Blazer?

Old 07-16-2012, 07:41 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

what exactly is broke, you cant just remove the transfercase, the transmission will have a big wide open end on the back that will spray trans fluid everywhere, if something is wrong with the front out put then you can probably just leave it in 2wd.

check Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market i bet they got a transfercase laying aroun

Old 07-16-2012, 10:25 PM

the transfer case came apart, exposing the insides essentially. it still would drive with a loud knock. it would catch occasionally and have a big thunk that would jolt the whole truck. The shop told me it wouldnt last another 10 miles the way it was.. im pretty sure i was driving it in 2wd to begin with, i would have to double check. ill call the repair shop its sitting at tomorrow to double check.

its still sitting under the truck, but is very loose. you can move it with just your hands and it have a few inches of give all around.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:49 PM
Starting Member
THePaRaSiTE5771 is on a distinguished road

Funny, your friend is into trucks and says you can drive a K5 with no transfer case LOL no wonder he is a Ford guy, but alas, that is neither here nor there. Pull out the transfer case, go get an NP241 case from the junkyard from any 90-91 Blazer/Suburban and throw it back in there. Good to go. If you need repair instructions, the AutoZone site has some alright stuff, or you can pick up a Chilton's Repair Manual.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:34 PM
70-K5 is on a distinguished road

Really?

No offense intended but your buddy with the bronco is a dip**** or you're not explaining the issue clearly.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:21 AM

it was a friend of a friend. i talked to him yesterday and apparently my friend misunderstood him. Broncos have some belt that you can remove that disconnects it from the rest of the system.

thats what he meant to remove.

all i needed was the magical NP241, thank you for writing that. Within an hour i was able to locate a compatible rebuilt transfer case within my area.. I've called every auto shop and repair garage in the area and everyone of them told me pretty much that a transfer case for a 90 full size blazer doesn't exist. I'll make sure to come here first every time.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:31 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Your old transfer case should have a tag on the back of it that identifies it. One thing to remember is that the full-size trucks used the NP241 transfer case as well, but they were driver side drop. The K5 & suburban used a passenger side drop transfer case. So just finding an NP241 transfer case is only part of the equation.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:45 AM
70-K5 is on a distinguished road

Make sure you get the right case with the electronic speedometer.
The case should be a NP241C, the C stands for Chevy...

I believe that the 241's were offered in 1989 only with mechanical speedometers, those are the most difficult to find.

Guess you're learning not to listen to your Bronco friends...