Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

1990 Full Size Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 12:10 AM
ffas23 is on a distinguished road
Default 1990 Full Size Blazer

I am about to do a little body work to my 1990 Full Size Blazer. Have owned this truck since the early 90's and have noticed a Rust Hole that has formed in the back of both Passenger and Drivers Side in each front inner wheel well facing the firewall on both side of my truck. Both rust holes are smack right in the area where the Chevrolet Factor installed what I want to call a brace or bracket where there are 3 bolts going through it to attach the back side of the inner wheel well to the firewall area of the truck. Will need to purchase or fabricate new (braces or brackets) what ever they are called and replace the rotted metal with new sheet metal behind it. Have no problem doing this work as I have done plenty of rust repair years ago on cars. What I would like to know is if anyone on this forum knows if the inner wheel well brackets or braces what ever that piece is called is available by itself in the aftermarket. I am sure they probably come on new replacement inner front wheel wells but the rest of my wheel wells are in perfect shape so there is no need to replace them completely. Hoping someone can direct me to a place where I can just purchase the bracket braces instead of having to fabricate them myself. As far as the other rust out its just a matter of cutting out a flat piece of sheet metal to fill that area in after grinding out the rusted area and just mig welding in place. Any help on this subject is appreciated. Will post a picture soon of the rusted out areas in question.
Fred

Old 09-03-2012, 12:16 AM

Wanted to correct spelling in my thread above I noticed after posting it but don't see a edit area on this forum. Can a moderator let me know if there is one available. Thanks

Old 09-04-2012, 07:02 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

mine rotted out there years ago. i just made my own. it was a very flat boxy corner so just welded in metal i had laying around. LMC.com might have something but no idea

Old 09-08-2012, 06:52 AM

Did a little research on this since joining the forum and although I have done this type of Rust Patching in the past decided to go with new aftermarket wheel wells. Couldn't resist the price I was able to get them for at only $28 each for a total of $56 for both. Going to hold on to my originals and possibly fix them out of the truck which would be a easier job to begin with plus I can take my time and get to it when I have nothing better to do. Just hope the re-pops fit like the originals. I have had some problems in the past with aftermarket body panels before. Got to say the replacements feel thinner to me and I got cut in 2 places on my hands just putting them in back of my Van from where I picked them up. They came from KSI also listed as KS Group on the net for those that would like to know in case they need the same. KSI doesn't have many parts for my '90 Blazer anymore from what I can see here in 2012. They list doors and fenders,wheel wells, as I just picked up and mostly lighting items and some rust panels. They showed a Lower Valence listed for my Blazer and I thought what the heck order one just to have an extra at only $12 after my discount but although listed on their website they said it was discontinued. Nothing wrong with mine but I had to cut mine in a few places in order to fit my Myers Snow Plow attachement in front of my Blazer. Looks good for what I did but thought if I ever wanted to sell the truck maybe the next person wouldn't want the plow attachment and it wouldn't look good with the hacked up valence. Oh well.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:00 PM

Update on my small project. I finally put my Blazer back on the road a week or so ago. Installed the 2 new inner front whell wells about a month or so ago. Surprised they fit as good as they did. Not exactly like the originals but I guess they are univeral to different years of Blazers and some Chevy Trucks. Had to drill holes where they were left out in these wheel wells to match my originals. A couple of holes that should of been there for the inside mud flap and other pieces such as for a wire harness and Brake ABS Module and Jack was not drilled by the aftermarket manufacturer so had to measure and drill at least 6 of those if I remember correctly on the driver side and a couple of holes on the passenger side for the jack tool assembly. All and all not too bad of a job at all. It just took some time. Could of saved plenty of time if all drill holes would of been there cutting out time for comparing old and new wheel well with plenty of measuring to do. Did some rust prevention also under my Blazer as I have used in the past. Used the product by Locktite and Permatex that you brush on over any rust on the frame and what have you so that you can paint when dry as it turns into a Black Primer as claimed. Also decided to strip the clearcoat off of my factory aluminum wheels and then buffed them out by hand before installing 4 brand new 31x10.50 R15 General Grabber AT2 Tires. Truck looks and runs great.