Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

305 TBI problems...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Beginning Member
exilous is on a distinguished road

i did try to crack the fuel line but it was seized together and began twisting the line andi didnt want to break it so i stopped. I did try the gasoline down th body along with starting fluid before and after I changed the map sensor and neither worked. it just cranked and cranked,my old man used to work on these things all the time but hes always busy and cant get around to helpin me out hopefully i can convince him to stop by my shop and check it out for me.

An di would assume a complete ECU would be kind of pricey even at a junkyard right?

Old 03-20-2009, 07:05 PM
Beginning Member

Good news all, we got it running, I finally got my dad down there today and literally he opened the hood and told me to turn the key. I cranked and he said i had fuel which i never had before, he truned the distributor i think it was 180 off, and unplugged the wire to allow for it to be timed and it fired right up no problems. Ran mint. Sounds great. Although we couldnt find the timing tab on it anywhere The bottom half of the engine is so clogged up with dirt oil and grease that when the engine finally kicked an ran chunks of grime flew up and all over the place. I would assume on the TBI that the timing tab is below the water pump right?

Now here is my other question. Tomorrow I'm going to go and do the compression test and see if i cant find that timing tab and get it all in tune and stuff. And if it turns out to be a real good engine what I may want to do just for temporary or for as long as it lasts is put the TBI into my C30 project. Now, my C30 is carburetted. A friend of mine told me that I could find partial harnesses to convert carb vehicles to TBI, is this true? And if it is where would I be able to find them?

Ya I know it would probably be underpowered but its not going to be a work truck, at least not yet. Just drive around and show it off for awhile. Then my goal is to put a 454 coupled to a 5 speed into the truck but for now I just want somethign that runs good. To bring itto shows and drive around.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is a lot of trouble to go through to convert to fuel injection. There are partial wiring harnesses available and I have the link on my work computer to a full rundown of what is necessary, but I cannot find it on this one and searching for it on google again did not turn it up either.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Beginning Member

Hrm, well it is just a thought right now. If its a lot of work to do I don't want to do it just to have to redo it later when i get the 454 in the truck. My friend said it was pretty much plug-and-play kind of deal but sometimes I don't think he really knows quite what hes talking about.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What gets complicated is the fuel supply. A carb can deal with some hick-ups in the fuel supply, a fuel injected engine cannot. What a lot of people do if they cannot convert to a tank from a fuel injected truck, they add what is called a surge tank. The tank is fed using a secondary pump that just flows fuel, keeping a certain amount in the tank at all times. The primary pump pulls fuel from the bottom of the surge tank and feeds the fuel injection system. This assures that there is fuel to the primary pump at all times.

The electrical stuff is pretty straight forward if you spend the money on a premade harness. If you have both vehicles, you have to graft the harnesses together.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Beginning Member
ta3ff is an unknown quantity at this point

I told you it was the dizzy, JK!!! Glad to hear you and pops working together. As far conversion go, www.thirdgen.org. Those camaro guys have done it all, carb to TBI or TPI. TBI to TPI. TPI to carb.

Just browse through the website and you'll probably find what you'll looking for.

If I where you I'd go TBI to TPI. Lots of Torque, more HP and better fuel mileage.