Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

87 Blazer will not start

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 08:32 AM
Beginning Member
johnb is on a distinguished road
Default 87 Blazer will not start

I've got an 87 blazer 350, 4x4, auto, throttlebody, started right up ran fine drove it to the corner store and came out put the key in the ignition turned the key and would not turn over, dash lights would not come on but had headlights and interior dome light. On line mechanic said he thought it was the ignition switch. That was replaced along with the key lock still nothing. Put jumper cables to the battery it made no difference, battery is fully charged. Replaced the starter 2 months ago checked all the fuses in the fuse box and connections to the starter all look good. Any ideas would sure be appreciated this has me going. Have not checked power to the starter with the key on yet. Are there fuses I may have missed?

Old 03-15-2010, 08:36 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Moved to Fullsize Tech* - The intent of the original thread you posted in is not to diagnose problems, but to request DIY articles. As such, I have moved your request into a new thread in the 'Fullsize Tech' section.

Now, about your problem. Have you tried banging on the starter? It could be a bad starter or a bad solenoid on the starter. Definitely check for power to the starter.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:46 AM
Beginning Member

Question
If the starter solenoid or starter is bad would all the dash lights and blinkers not work when the key is turned to start? Also I can't hear the fuel pump when I turn the key to crank the engine. The starter was a rebuilt (Advance Auto) as it is only 2months old do you think it is my good luck it is bad? Headlights are working and dome light work, battery is fully charged. any ideas would be appreciated. I did bang on started with a hammer and appears to have current to starter.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:21 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Most vehicles turn off the dash along with several other systems during the start cycle. This is to protect somewhat sensitive circuits from the low voltage condition that results while the starter is drawing current.

If you are getting current to the starter on the main battery positive cable as well as the turn on lead for the solenoid (small wire on small post - triggered from the ignition switch), then there is a problem with the starter and/or solenoid.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks
I will pull the starter out when I get home hopefully I just got a bad rebuilt and will take it back to Advance Auto for a refund
John

Old 03-17-2010, 11:16 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Word of caution. Swart told you to bang on it because it just may be sticky. The first thing they are going to do when you take it in is test it. If it got banged around when you removed it, it just may work now. You could check it yourself first (recommended) or smack it with a hammer before you remove it (highly recommended). If it still doesn't go, then take it back. If it does then the choice is yours but be prepared for a possible hassle. Just speaking from experience but not with Advance.