Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

?87 k5 tbi 5.7l dies when i turn right?

Old 11-15-2009, 11:29 PM
matthp is on a distinguished road
Default ?87 k5 tbi 5.7l dies when i turn right?

the truck always starts when cold. sometimes when hot it doesnt start just turns over. if i waite a while and try again it will start. last couple of days dies when i turn right. i changed the ignition module. still have the same problem?

Old 11-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It only dies when you turn right? Does it do it consistently? Is there a particular speed you have to be driving at while you turn right?

I would be looking for some wiring that is grounding out whenever you turn right...

Old 11-16-2009, 09:06 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

YES!!!! i wasn't the only one to have this happen.

sorry matthp, but this drove me up the wall when it was happening to my '90 'Burb-and it only happened when i made a qiuck right hander (coming off an off ramp, onto the road too quickly, simply swerving to hard to avoid something).

my truck was blowing the fuse for the pump. i traced all the wires for the pump, from the pump back to the fuse panel-i even took the fuse block apart @ the firewall-still couldn't find the short/rub. so i just kept a BIG box of fuses in the console. i got so good @ changing the fuse, i could swap it from the driver's seat without even looking (it went on for a looooong time!).

sorry i couldn't help you, but maybe you'll have better luck than i did.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Different body style and all, but I would look at the wiring on the driver side frame rail where it passes under the body at the firewall. We had a similar issue on my Dad's '94 K2500 pickup. The body would sag enough on right handers to squash the wiring and ground out. It wasn't enough to blow the fuse, but it was enough to disrupt the fuel flow.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:28 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by swartlkk View Post
Different body style and all, but I would look at the wiring on the driver side frame rail where it passes under the body at the firewall. We had a similar issue on my Dad's '94 K2500 pickup. The body would sag enough on right handers to squash the wiring and ground out. It wasn't enough to blow the fuse, but it was enough to disrupt the fuel flow.
other than the 'Burb having 2 extra doors, how is it a different body style? or were you refering to your Dad's K2500?

i checked under there on my 'Burb, first thing. seems the body mounts/floor were about the only part of the truck that wasn't rotted & sagging, hahahaha. wish i had found the problem, it probabaly cost me 15 to 20 bucks in fuses for the rest of the life of that truck.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:05 AM
Administrator

Yes, I was talking about my dad's '94 K2500.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:02 PM
BF Guru

yeah, sorry about that. i kinda realized that's what you were probably talking about AFTER i posted. it's ok everybody, i'm "the tool of the day".