Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Blazer not running fuel issue?

Old 02-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Another possibility is that the float inside the carb is malfunctioning.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:26 PM
Beginning Member
TheK5 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Another possibility is that the float inside the carb is malfunctioning.
My first old vehicle. I'm clueless, but slowing learning. What do you think about sticking a pressure guage in fuel line before carb?... Hopefully to find out whether it's before carb or the carb.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You could test the pressure. You are looking for somewhere between 6 & 8 psi.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:49 PM
Beginning Member

You could test the pressure. You are looking for somewhere between 6 & 8 psi.
I do not have a tester.... I figured cheaper to buy just a gauge lol...

Old 02-26-2011, 10:54 PM
Administrator

A gauge will work. That's all that is used to test fuel pressure.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:27 PM
Beginning Member

A gauge will work. That's all that is used to test fuel pressure.
update

replaced metal fuel line with rubber line and inline fuel gauge. Is it normal for a fuel gauge to bounce super fast? (0-4 just back and forth) It's bouncing to around 4 lbs.

I swapped line on pump..... there were correct because it ran out of gas lol.

Before putting back on pump I pump air with the compressor to line and blew back into the tank. Runs a lot better but still hesitating. Fuel up to around 8 lbs still bounces steady.

Problems obviously in the tank.. what do you think? Currently I have about $100 in the tank I hate to drain it

Old 02-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Administrator

It is normal for it to bounce with a diaphragm style pump which is what you have. Each revolution of the cam causes the pump push rod to push on the diaphragm arm which pumps fuel.

0-4psi sounds a bit low, but 8psi is good.

Have you considered tearing down the carb and rebuilding it?

Old 02-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Beginning Member

It is normal for it to bounce with a diaphragm style pump which is what you have. Each revolution of the cam causes the pump push rod to push on the diaphragm arm which pumps fuel.

0-4psi sounds a bit low, but 8psi is good.

Have you considered tearing down the carb and rebuilding it?
Just drove about 5 miles... It's driving fine... BUT idle it's rough and wants to die. When I returned home 3 psi again.

I have never done it before. I suppose I could bring in house and tear apart.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Administrator

If it drives ok and only the idle is crappy, that sounds like a carb issue.

Is it the factory carb, Rochester Quadrajet?

Old 02-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Beginning Member

If it drives ok and only the idle is crappy, that sounds like a carb issue.

Is it the factory carb, Rochester Quadrajet?
You know, I just bought it last month. I have never owned anything carbed. lol, I just need to do some reasearch once it's out. I have no idea what kind of carb it is. It's black as **** from gunk

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blazer not running fuel issue?