Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Blazer not running fuel issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can try adjusting it first.

If its a Q-jet, the idle screws will be in the front of the carb located in the base plate. They are recessed into the base plate and are at a slight angle to the carb centerline. The typical initial setting I have always used is to unscrew each one of the idle screws 1.5 turns out after bottoming the needle valve. When you are turning it in, count the number of turns and write it down for each screw then set them at 1.5 turns.

You can also set idle speed using the adjustment screw near the primary throttle shaft on the driver side of the carb (where the throttle cable attaches).

Old 02-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Beginning Member
TheK5 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
You can try adjusting it first.

If its a Q-jet, the idle screws will be in the front of the carb located in the base plate. They are recessed into the base plate and are at a slight angle to the carb centerline. The typical initial setting I have always used is to unscrew each one of the idle screws 1.5 turns out after bottoming the needle valve. When you are turning it in, count the number of turns and write it down for each screw then set them at 1.5 turns.

You can also set idle speed using the adjustment screw near the primary throttle shaft on the driver side of the carb (where the throttle cable attaches).
How about that aligator clip. I thought I got a deal on this thing but man I have spent a lot of money on it so far I see the throttle screw and that's it. Help me out

Last edited by swartlkk; 02-27-2011 at 08:11 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, that's a Q-jet.

I marked the locations of the idle adjustment screws in the attachment below:

Attached Thumbnails Blazer not running fuel issue?-img_0039.jpg  
Old 02-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Beginning Member

Yep, that's a Q-jet.

I marked the locations of the idle adjustment screws in the attachment below:
I found the one on the left. It was out 2 turns. I put at 1.5 for now. The only screw on the right is the idle screw. It was not even touching the lever that goes to the pedal. I turned the idle up a little i would say by ear it's idling too high. Idles fine as soon as i put into gear it dies unless i give it gas.

But hey since idle turned up I'm reading 8 lbs. Maybe I'm a retard I just cannot find the 2nd screw you are referring to.

ok watched some youtube. I have the safety emissions caps still over screws .... I was adjusting the high speed screw in my earlier post.

Last edited by swartlkk; 02-28-2011 at 07:21 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post if another member yet to respond.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Yeah, there may be caps over the idle screws. I would remove the carb and give it a good cleaning. Remove the caps and set the idle screws.

While it's off, check the primary throttle shaft for play which can cause a vacuum leak leading to poor idle quality. If there is play in the primary throttle shaft, you may want to consider getting a rebuilt carb. There are quite a few on eBay.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Beginning Member

Yeah, there may be caps over the idle screws. I would remove the carb and give it a good cleaning. Remove the caps and set the idle screws.

While it's off, check the primary throttle shaft for play which can cause a vacuum leak leading to poor idle quality. If there is play in the primary throttle shaft, you may want to consider getting a rebuilt carb. There are quite a few on eBay.

Not sure what's going on but... it's running like a champ. Suppose turning idle up a bit... the screw was not even touching the throttle lever before adjustment. I have driven about 10 miles last two days. Starts right up. I still have to pedal it for a sec to keep it running. Just going to drive over next couple of days and see what happens.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Starting Member
ajeremiah83 is on a distinguished road

i am having a similar problem. but my blazer doesnt want to start. I was low on gas and dry on oil because of my oil leak. I turned it off for about 45 mins and tried to start it. it turns over but doesnt want to start. i put oil in it, and filled it up to half a tank. still nothing. i also tried jumping it with my boyfriends car. i just dont want to put tons of money into this vehicle...if its not worth it. help!!

Old 03-04-2011, 07:21 AM
Administrator

And what are you driving, ajeremiah? If it is a fullsize with a carb, run through the checks listed in this thread and let us know what you find. If it isn't a fullsize and/or it doesn't have a carb, then you really should start a new thread in the applicable tech section.