Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

brakes???? want to rid hydraboost!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 08:41 PM
newdude is on a distinguished road
Default brakes???? want to rid hydraboost!!!

i have a hydraboost power brakesystem in my 83 K5 blazer and i want to go convert back to the conventional power brakes and my ? is after i unbolt the hydra brakes and master cylinrder can i bolt on the conventional powerbooster and master cylinder , and are those bolt mounts there for such a conversion??????? who knows the answer to this ??????????? or has done this conversion?????

Old 11-18-2010, 09:16 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Moving to Fullsize Tech - Gen Chat is not for technical advice*

Someone probably converted it over. I don't think that they came with that as an option.

It shouldn't be too difficult to swap back to standard configuration. Just get the appropriate booster & MC. Measure the replacement MC to see if it is even different than the MC currently on your truck. If it isn't, return the new MC.

What's wrong with the hydroboost setup that you want to swap back to stock? What are your plans with it after you remove it?

Old 11-18-2010, 06:02 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

the diesel k5s came with them. other then that ive never seen a gasser have them. i always rip them out of all my trucks when i get them. the last 3 fullsizes ive bought have been diesels. and yes they do bolt right in place. some people love the hydroboost set up others hate. i personally could care less i just stick with vacuum cause its a bit simpler

i remember having to modify the pin that thats on the brake pedal itself that is for where the booster attaches under the dash. its been a while but i believe that the hydroboost brake pedal has a little bit thicker pin on it then one that has vacuum. either use a brake pedal out of a vacuum truck or just grind it down a little bit.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I've been collecting parts to convert my Chevelle to hydro-boost because vacuum may be a problem with the engine setup I'm planning.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:39 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i have yet to see hydroboost in a car also. is that a common swap for a low vacuum motor?

Old 11-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Unless you want manual brakes or an electric vacuum pump, yes. They sell kits for cars. I see them in just about every one of my chevy mags.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:50 PM
newdude is on a distinguished road
Default brakes

im keeping the hydro brakes !!! someone talked me into i hear they are better than vacum
Originally Posted by swartlkk
*Moving to Fullsize Tech - Gen Chat is not for technical advice*

Someone probably converted it over. I don't think that they came with that as an option.

It shouldn't be too difficult to swap back to standard configuration. Just get the appropriate booster & MC. Measure the replacement MC to see if it is even different than the MC currently on your truck. If it isn't, return the new MC.

What's wrong with the hydroboost setup that you want to swap back to stock? What are your plans with it after you remove it?