Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Carburetor Advise Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 09:04 PM
Wombo Combo is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Carburetor Advise Please

hey im new to this site and i need advise on a new Carburetor. My Uncle gave me a 1985 Fullsize Chevy Blazer K5 with the 350 7.5. Its an automatic with AC and stuff. Really nice truck, but it needs a new Carburetor. I went to my local autobody shops and there sayin it cost $500. Im a broke student and i need anouther alternated of repairing this.
Thanks
-Joe

Old 09-15-2011, 06:47 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What's wrong with yours that makes you think you need to replace it? Have you tried rebuilding it? Most of the true problems with the Q-jet can be fixed with a little work.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Starting Member
ericthughes is on a distinguished road

yeh my truck ran like crap then i rebuilt it it runs pretty strong now ..you can buy those edlebrock carbs from yer autopart store in the box that are easy to install and pretty easy on the wallet

Old 09-15-2011, 09:48 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ericthughes
yeh my truck ran like crap then i rebuilt it it runs pretty strong now ..you can buy those edlebrock carbs from yer autopart store in the box that are easy to install and pretty easy on the wallet
yeah or just bring in your carb to a rebuild shop. last i seen they were about $175 out here that way too you dont have to mess with anything, like changing fuel lines or vacuum lines,

Old 09-16-2011, 09:29 AM

found out it's all rusted and Croaded inside. went to the junk yard and got the wronge 1 off of a suburban, hoping that would work but it Doesnt have that 3 prowns for the eletrical. California is a bitch to smog and I need a gpod 1 to makenit pass

Old 09-16-2011, 06:02 PM
litterbug will become famous soon enough

i am currently in the process of rebuilding the carb on my 74. pretty easy imo. the kit was 30. the carb chem-dip was 25 and a can of carb cleaner was 5. so for a grand total of 60 i will have a like new carb. i just need to learn how to tune it after i reinstall it. lol

Old 09-16-2011, 11:19 PM
Bubba Blazer is on a distinguished road

rebuilding your carb is straightforward. if you don't want to touch it, you can find a reasonable carb shop (there are a few around me and I live 7 miles from downtown LA). If you decide to tackle it, cleanliness is everything. Chem dip and carb spray will be your friends (always wear glasses! b/c carb spray in your eyes feels like needles - don't ask how I know) and be sure to disassemble/reassemble it in a clean environment (i use an old desk in my garage dedicated to carbs and i always lay down shop towels before doing anything on it). What concerns me is that you said the original carb is corroded which may be a problem especially if parts have started to pit, so you may want to start with a carb in slightly better shape. BTW: the three prongs you mentioned is for the throttle position sensor (yup, on a carb) so you have a very rudimentary ECU in your truck (and it was factory rated for 165hp). You should also have a distributor with an extra 4 plug pigtail which runs the "advance" - there are no springs/weights in the HEI. Although the Quadrajet can be detailed, I enjoy it over Carter AFB's and Holleys because they seemed a little more "predictable" for some reason. I always run into probs when rebuilding used carbs which can really test your patience when tuning them. However, if everything's rebuilt to spec, a quadrajet should give you trouble free miles.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:23 PM

lol i just hit jackpot, turns out my autoshop teacher has some spare carbs, and he has the 1 ive been lookin for. Told me he doesent use them so i got 1 for free. Thanks all for the advise.