Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Confused

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Beginning Member
TheBeastofPC is on a distinguished road
Default Confused

I was reading my original owners manual and noticed my 79 automatic blazer has full time 4 wheel drive, unlike the manual trans which uses hubs and therefore is only part-time 4 wheel drive. However, my blazer has hubs to lock on it hence my confusion. Does anyone know have any suggestions why this might be this way. Is this an improvement or were there a certain amount factory built by Chevy? The shifter does jive with the manual for a full time 4 wheel drive.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

THIS POST should explain what's going on.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Beginning Member

Cool, thanks for the info. Is there a benefit in converting from full to part time?

Old 03-21-2011, 06:50 PM
Beginning Member

I have an update on this issue. With all the snow we had this winter I got to play with and show off the awesome prowess of the mighty full size K5. I found out not only do I have the manual-locking hubs, vs. automatic hubs, I also have a manual 3 spd transfer case vs. the standard automatic 4 spd transfer case that came with the automatic trans. So, somewhere along the way someone swapped everything except for the handle on the inside.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:02 PM
Beginning Member

Hello, anyone out there????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????:icon_sh rug::icon_ bike::icon_teeth :???????????????????????????????????? ?????????????? I guess no one knows the answer to this off the hook brain-blower. Guess I will have to ask another forum.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:29 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is very doubtful that you have a 3spd or 4spd transfer case... Do not confuse the number of shifter positions for different gear ratios. The vast majority (if not all) of GM's transfer cases were 2 speed (high & low) or 1 speed (AWD transfer cases for instance).

There are ranges (gears or speeds) and modes (2HI & 4HI are both in the HI range but are different modes). The NP205 has 2HI, 4HI, & 4LO. The NP203 in stock form has HI, HI-LOC, LO-LOC, & LO.

Unless I missed something... The question that you have asked is if there is any benefit of converting from full-time to part-time... The answer depends on what you see as a benefit. The full-time transfer case works great for offroading. There are no hubs that can fail to engage on you and if you get into some more challenging terrain, you do not have to get out of the truck to lock the front & rear axles together. Part-time conversions tend to offer better economy since the rotating mass of the drivetrain is reduced by not spinning the front driveshaft and axle when combined with hub disconnects at the front wheels.

But until you identify what it is you have under your truck, it really is a moot point. We can't look under there for you. Factory transfer cases for your year were the NP205 & NP203. A bit of searching on Google will help you identify which you have.

In the end, a simple bump would have sufficed. Threads often get missed when people get busy. No need to get upset over it.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Beginning Member

I currently have the NP-205 then with manual locking hubs mated to a 3 spd transmission. I see what you are saying about benefits, i am just trying to figure out why one of the previous owners of this vehicle would change it from the full-time 4wd to this configuration of part-time 4wd. From my research this configuration normally came with the standard transmission. Thanks for the info and got ya about the bump.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:03 AM
Administrator

The NP205 was offered on the TH350 transmission so it is entirely possible that your truck came that way stock.

As far as why someone would go through the trouble of converting it over. The NP205 is regarded as one of the strongest stock transfer cases. I'm not sure I would be worried about it being there.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Beginning Member

Not worried just curious as to why. The transfer case shifter still has the AWD diagram on the handle/****. Considerig everything but the radio is stock, I dont see why that handle/**** wouldnt be the original. That is another reason why I think it has been changed as well and why I am curious. Also, my K-5 has a 6.6L according to the VIN so I think it has the 400 tranny, but I could be wrong about that though.