Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Door Lock Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 06:02 PM
Beginning Member
bigfdaddy is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Door Lock Cylinder

I own a 1993 full size blazer. All 3 of my door lock cyclinders are completley frozen. I have tried wd-40, graphite lube. Driver side door locks and unlocks but key wont work. passenger side door wont lock. rear tailgate door will unlock window only by tailgate release.

HOW IN THE HECK DO I REMOVE THE CYCLINDERS TO REPLACE THEM?

Old 04-22-2009, 06:09 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

I would imagine on the front two doors you need to remove the interior door panel and wind insulator, or whatever it's really called, and you can get to the back side of the cylinder from there.

On the tailgate, pretty much same thing. There should be an access panel on the inside of the gate, probably buried under carpet or whatever you have on the interior side of your tailgate. The cylinder itself should have a locking clip, similar to a snap ring or e-clip to allow for removal.

Check out http://WWW.LMCTRUCK.COM, the catalog has an exploded view of lock cylinder for the tailgate.

Last edited by oisinirish; 04-22-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The doors are easy. There is a spring clip which holds the lock in.

The tailgate is another story. You need to remove the whole rear window crank (manual rear window) or the chrome power window handle. That piece is bolted on from the inside.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Beginning Member

how do u remove the clip for the door lock. i got as far as being able to pull handle out some what. on the back of the lock the linkage arm whont allow me to pull handle out. the little tab the linkage goes into is in the down position i beleive. i removed the linkage that goes to the lock its self and removed clip the holds linkage. but i cant get clip off back of cyclinder as it rusted all to crap.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The rods inside have spring steel retainers. You have to rotate the retainer off of the rod and then you will be able to pull the rod out. From there, you will see the U shaped spring clip that holds the lock onto the door.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:17 AM
Beginning Member

i was able to get the lower rod off. but as far as the clip for cylinder i cant seem to either find it or its rusted with the rest of the mechanism i cant see inside there to tell where it is. i took all the door panel off except for the black metal piece. i unscrewed the handle and was able to pull handle almost all the way out but the arm is locked to where i cant finish pulling handle out of door.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Do yourself a favor and get a mechanics mirror.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:51 AM
Beginning Member

thanxs for all the help i have finnaly got them out. they were rusted and corroded into the handles. took form 11 am - 6 pm to get them out and replaced.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:15 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

At least you got it. Good job! Got the ol rust bucket myself and kow what your dealing with. Almost wish I could be cross-eyed and see around corners sometimes..LOL

Old 04-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Beginning Member

yeah it not to bad. could be worse. Broke the clip on the passenger side handle the the lock clips into on it so know looking for knew handles all the way around. and replace all at once.Since the truck is know in al from ny. im not worried about the salt and rust.