Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

drum brakes auto adjuster

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 12:04 AM
Starting Member
yarinzim is on a distinguished road
Default drum brakes auto adjuster

Hi guys,

i just found out my drum brakes (blazer k5 90' with a rear gm 8.5) are auto adjustable.
I'm supposed to replace drums and pads this weekend and before i do i wanted to ask if there are any known issues with this auto adjuster. the way it's assembled now i know for sure it's not working. i have a Haynes book so i'll try to figure it out on the weekend, but any past experience from you guys on what to look for while trying to fix this issue will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, yarin.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:53 AM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

the auto adjusters are usually seized up and will need heat to unscrew , wire wheel to clean the threads up and anti sieze on the threads for reassembly

one side has left had threads BTW so they are not interchangable side to side

Old 02-27-2013, 03:55 AM
Starting Member

thanks man, i'll do that!

let's hope i won't have to order new ones

Old 02-27-2013, 10:21 AM
70-K5 is on a distinguished road

Every drum brake I've ever seen is auto adjusting.

Getting a kit to replace the adjusting parts is a good idea. It is only a few parts but will make reinstalation of the brakes much easier.

Also, when you do the brakes do one side at a time. For instance take the drum off the driver side but don't do anything else. Go to the passenger side and work on it. As you are putting things back together you can use the driver side as a reference so you know how everything goes.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:52 AM
Starting Member

thanks for the tips guys!
i hope i'll be able to get the adjuster running..

Old 02-27-2013, 03:02 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 70-K5
Every drum brake I've ever seen is auto adjusting.

Getting a kit to replace the adjusting parts is a good idea. It is only a few parts but will make reinstalation of the brakes much easier.

Also, when you do the brakes do one side at a time. For instance take the drum off the driver side but don't do anything else. Go to the passenger side and work on it. As you are putting things back together you can use the driver side as a reference so you know how everything goes.
Mirror image BTW

Old 03-01-2013, 12:21 AM
Beginning Member
Mossyoaksilverado is on a distinguished road

Do youself a huge favor and get a new spring kit with the shoes, and get all new parking brake hardware. The adjuster, the cable, get it all. It will save you in the long run. You can take the adjuster off, if your lucky it will back off, if not then you gotta heat it. Then if you get it off you gotta clean the threads, if its reusable put antiseeze on it and thread it back together, if not then you gotta get a new one anyways. Get a new adjuster and the parts to go with it. You might be looking at an extra 15 to 20$ in parts depending where you shop.

Also if you have no done drum brakes before, do yourself another huge favor and get a Haynes manual. They walk you through step by step with removal and install of all the springs. You wont have to go side to side, and its just way way way easier.

Also get the proper tools, I spent less than $25 on a set of the all in one pliers that hook and remove and install the springs and also the tool to compress the springs and remove the locks that hold the shoes to the backing plate. These 2 tools make the job alot quicker and easier. If you want photos of the tools I got I wil gladly show them to you. I got the pliers at Advance Auto for around 12$ and the tool to remove the locks from Sears for 8$