Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

front wheels not spining in 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 12:30 AM
Russyo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default front wheels not spining in 4wd

Ok, I just put on the front driveshaft. So I took it out to get it dirty and see if everything is working now. Well I found out the hard way that the front wheels are turning while I have it in either 4 wheel Low or High. When I put the shaft on, I put it in 4 wheel low to tighten the screws, so I know the t-case isnt the issue, at least I think from stuff I have read that the t-case is fine. However, once I was stuck and found the front wheels to not be spinning i tried to spin the locking hub to lock in the front wheels, with the 4 wheel drive engadged and the left front hub lockers just clicks, as if it wont catch or something. The right wheel seems to click in and engadge but the right wheel wont turn either. So my front wheels dont turn. Do I need new lockers? I believe that is what I need, if someone who knows can confirm this, it will make me feel much better. I just got the truck and it didnt have the front driveshaft on it, so I got it fixed and put on, is it possible that the previous idiot, I mean owner may have blown out the shaft and the lockers? Thanks for any info you guys can give me. It was a hell of a time getting out of the field I got into without the 4 wheel drive, with it I probably wouldhave been a cake walk, but without its was pretty ugly. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:48 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: front wheels not spining in 4wd

You might have to replace the lockers on the ends. When I was a lube techinician at a Chevy Dealer I had a couple of these come in for wheel bearing service and you will need a "DEEP" socket for the nuts inside the front axles...basically a long tube with tangs on the end with a square end for ratchet drive or breaker bar...I think they come in 3/8 or 1/2 inch....

Old 01-23-2007, 05:45 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

It's not uncommon for the ramp in the auto locking hubs to break. (Which is why I changed to manual hubs in my '85)
It's a good idea to service the hubs (clean and lube) at least once a year, that's also a good time to check them for worn or broken parts.
I found it a little difficult to read your post, but I'm assuming that you have automatic locking hubs.

I should service mine soon and take some pics....

Old 01-24-2007, 01:36 AM

No, I have manual hubs. Thus the reason I had to get out of the truck and turn the hub to try and get them to lock for me. I bought some nice Warn replacements today, so tomorrow Ill see if it was just the hubs or if I need further investigation of broken stuff. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:00 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a plan. Take some pics.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:00 AM

umm, oops on the taking pics. I replaced the hubs and now everything is working great. I didnt take pics, sorry guys. Super easy to replace them though. Well once you get the first one off its a simple process for the other side. Thanks for the tips guys. See you guys in the mud or on the trails!!