Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Fuse problem

Old 06-18-2009, 06:47 AM
Beginning Member
Steeltoe623 is on a distinguished road
Default Fuse problem

1986 K5 4X4 305engine Chevy Blazer

As I said in my last post, "One problem right after the other".

This time it seems to be something wrong with my fuse box. A few days ago I was leaving work and when I went to turn on my headlights I noticed the lights in my dashboard where all the gauges are began to flicker and ultimately they went completely out. I figured it was a fuse and would change it later on. Fast forward to two nights ago. I ended up getting pulled over and the reason was that my tail lights were completely out. Today, I changed out the fuse but nothing had changed. It was a 20A fuse to be exact. I took out the new fuse I had just put in and saw that it was completely burnt out. I put another new one in and the same thing happened. My question is why are all the new fuses shorting out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-18-2009, 03:18 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Does it burn the fuse with the lights off? If you pull the bulbs does it still happen?
If not could be in the light switch.

Sounds to me like something is faulting to ground. Gonna be fun chasing that down.
But to be sure check continuity at the poles on the fuse that's burning up. Without a fuse and everything off it should read as an open circuit. If you get any continuity wires are touching each other or bare metal

Old 06-18-2009, 06:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Just be thankful that the wiring is not all that complex in your truck. I love how simple it is in my '74. Sure makes troubleshooting wiring issues easier!

As said above, let us know when the fuse blows. Is it only when the lights are on? Does the key have to be on?

Old 06-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Beginning Member
Steeltoe623 is on a distinguished road

Problem solved! Here's what happened:

The fuses would burn out instantly when I would turn on my headlights. When it did this, the key was in the ignition.

The problem was that I have a trailer hitch and the wires for the lights were pinched in between the hitch and the bumper. The bare wire part was making the fuses short. We disconnected the wires, put a new fuse in and everything went back to normal. That and I needed a new stop light switch.

Thanks again for all your guy's help...

Old 06-20-2009, 08:18 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Glad it was something simple! Thanks for the follow up!