Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Gas gauge not working

Old 09-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Starting Member
JMH1969 is on a distinguished road
Default Gas gauge not working

Im going to try to make sense with this. I have owned my blazer for 4-5 years the gas gauge has always been at the 3 oclock position. I dont drive very far so I would always just make sure that there is plenty of gas. I am moving from WA to TX in about 12 days and think it might be good to have it working for the trip so....

This used to be a diesel but is now gas.

I tore apart the dash and removed the gas gauge. Put power to the right post, while looking at the back, and grounded the left. The needle went to dead on E. I grounded the bottom post and the needle goes back to the 3 oclock position. I figure the gauge works like its supposed to.

I checked the wires at the sending unit plug. Small middle wire grounded to frame. One hot and the other ground. I bridged the two main wires and my tester lit up so I know I have good power and good ground. I traced the wires to the engine compartment. One of the wires goes to a round rubber plug, at the top right location, this plug is below the main wiring harness bundle. The other wire is cut about 8 inches from the plug. A wire from the top left of the plug comes out and goes about 4-5 inches past the cut wire and is a different color. It looks like some type of fusable link. The third wire from the plug at the bottom middle is cut off flush with the plug. How are these wires supposed to be wired? Where do they go?

I found the other side of the plug inside of the cab. I traced the 3 wires to the back of the gauge cluster. They go to the "low coolant" warning lamp, out of that lamp to a connection on a circuit board. Wires come out of that up to the "glow plug" warning lamp. Out of that lamp into a large bundle that goes back down down towards the fuse block. Then you have the large plug at the back of the gauge cluster.

I checked the clips that the posts of the gas gauge slip into and no power there at all.

Does anyone know how to correctly rewire the plug inside the engine compartment? Any ideas how to get this thing to work or get around the stock wiring? Any ideas are welcomed and appreciated. Thank you.

Mike

Last edited by JMH1969; 09-24-2010 at 10:06 PM.