Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

gauge question

Old 04-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Biohazed is on a distinguished road
Default gauge question

ok 2 out of 3 gauges on my K5 don't work proerly (talking about the small gauges) noe I was wondering if ther is anyway to cut the 4 gauge pack off the cluster and replace then with after market gauges?

Old 04-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Anything is possible. You could make up your own bracket to hold the replacement gauges.

When the gauges were reading incorrectly on my K5, I just fixed them. There isn't much that goes wrong with them. Check your fuses first before you get too deep into it. My CLSTR fuse was blown and caused some of the problems I had. The other problems were due to some corroded connections to the flexible circuit board in the back. Easy fixes to be sure.

While I had it apart, I polished the clear cover, replaced all of the bulbs, and touched up some of the gauge faces. Now the gauges look better than the rest of the dash... LOL

Old 07-15-2010, 02:39 PM
armyfighterolson is on a distinguished road

The fuel gauge is not working on my 84 K5. the sending unit has been replaced so im pretty sure its the gauge. i want to replace it and all of the other gauges with performance gauges. ive measured the gauges and the 4 small ones on the left seem to be about 2'' the big ones about 4''. whats the best way to go about replacing them? does anyone know where to find an instrument bezel made for aftermarket gauges? im not looking to fab something myself

Old 07-15-2010, 05:14 PM
armyfighterolson is on a distinguished road

so i spent forever searching and talking to several different companies' customer service people. finally i found a solution. kinda pricy but its a nice upgrade to my 84 k5 blazer. you can also adjust the speedometer pretty easily for different size tires. http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd158.htm

Old 07-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Beginning Member
BAGnDRAG-K5 is on a distinguished road
Default Custom gauges!!

The following statement will depend on your mechanical aptitude. If you know how to work with fiber glass you can build your own dash bezel. This is a little labor intensive but simple concept. I have built one of these bezels and, a set of door panels and a console. I really like the way it looks when it is finished and for the money the you save, it just makes sense.
F.Y.I. By the way does your fuel gauge bounce? It will most likely be a bad ground connection than the gauge being bad. If the needle moves real smooth and easy it is probably fine.