Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

K5 body help

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 12:04 PM
ohoffroader is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K5 body help

I have a 79 K5 Blazer and the body is rusted out. I would like to change out the tub. Have been looking on the web about the tubs, and not sure if the bodys would interchange between each other (77-91)? Any help would be great.
If this tread is not is the right place, please move it.
Thanks in advance.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: K5 body help

What are you referring to when you say "tub"? If it is the main body, then you will probably be better off finding a whole truck and swapping over those components which you wish to keep.

For the most part, the bodies themselves are very similar from 76 thru 91. There are differences though. One being the fuel tank fill port on the passenger side. From 76-78, it was just a round hole with an exposed cap. From 79-91 it was square with a door that was opened to expose the filler neck and cap.

There were changes made to the body mount bushings over this year range as well. You can have a look at PG 22 in the current LMCTruck.com cataloge for the 73-91 Blazer to see just where things were changed as far as the body mounts go.

I think there are others as well... Steering column changes to incorporate the wiper switch if yours is not already that way, etc...

Old 11-24-2008, 04:51 PM

Thanks for your reply swartlkk. That is all that I could find also. I have looked at buying a complete truck, but I am in the rust belt and dont want to drive across country for a good buy. That is why I was considering just buying the body (tub as I call it), and swapping over my parts.
The only thing that worries me, is the body mounts lining up with the frame and the way the dash mount up.
Thanks again, and if anyone else has input please feel free to post.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

How bad is the rust you are dealing with? Have any pictures?

You can check the link in my sig to see what I am dealing with on my 74.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:03 AM

I just figured it would be easier to swap parts than to fix the body. I really worried about the hole below the windshield ( see link ).
Please anybody post with your thought.
Thanks

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/jj182/ohoffroader/

Old 11-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Yep, that hole in the windshield frame is pretty bad. I would really look at getting a frame and body.

Where do you live? Maybe check out the local Craigslist.com listing.

Chevylover is our resident K5 guru, but he has been busy with his projects/work/etc for quite a while. We will see if he pops in to comment.

I am actually going to move this into the Fullsize Tech section so that if he checks in that forum, he will see it.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:24 PM

Thanks for your input