Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Missing tubes?

Old 09-02-2018, 01:33 PM
Beginning Member
Chrisdot is on a distinguished road
Default Missing tubes?

Hey, please have a look at the pictures. I see couple of places in the car that look like some components or tubes are missing. Would you help me identify these?
1 some disconnected cable?
2 hole in plastic casing, what is that whole plastic thing? And what should be in that hole?
3 hole in metal pipe, seems it belongs to the engine
4 I think that metal tube end belongs to carburetor, is that right? What should be connected there?
5 another missing tube?

I just got the car, I want to learn about it and I want to fix mandatory items as soon as possible.

Attached Thumbnails Missing tubes?-123.jpg   Missing tubes?-45.jpg  
Old 09-02-2018, 04:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

1 - Could be some wiring for the AC system that seems to be missing.
2 - That hole is where the AC line should go, but it looks like someone took out the air conditioning stuff.
3 - This should have a flexible metal pipe connecting it to a corresponding location on the underside of the air intake pipe which originally was there to allow the engine to pull heated air from around the exhaust manifold during cold start conditions.
4 - That's a vacuum port that should be plugged off until you find whatever was originally connected to it.
5 - This is a coolant temperature sensor. There is another, single wire type sending unit where the upper radiator hose attaches. Whether the other, two wire sensor is used in your vehicle depends on what it is you're driving. It does look like you have a lot of electrical connectors just dangling behind the water pump and some of those could be for the AC system high pressure switch and the compressor clutch. I can't really tell what else might be in that harness.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:24 PM
Beginning Member

@swartlkk
Thanks a lot for detailed description. Attaching one more picture, I believe this one is 'Vapor Canister'. Should it be connected to 4?
Previous owner told me he replaced original carburetor with aftermarket one that lacks electronic control. Not sure if that matters.

Attached Thumbnails Missing tubes?-img_3301.jpg  
Old 09-02-2018, 09:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is very possible that the vapor canister port connected to that port on the carb. It also could have run to the vacuum valve on the thermostat housing (where the upper radiator hose connects). This valve was originally used to control the EGR valve. If you don't have an emissions label with the vacuum diagram on it on the core support above the radiator, you can probably find a vacuum diagram on the net somewhere.

Quite frankly, unless you need that stuff connected for inspections, I'd plug off the port in the carb & forget about the rest of it. More trouble than it's worth.

You are also missing the fresh air return hose from the passenger side valve cover up to the air cleaner housing just behind the alternator. It looks like someone has just put a small valve cover filter on instead which works, but tends to lead to oil dripping down onto the valve cover and, eventually, the exhaust. Not enough to cause anything bad, but is visually annoying.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:02 PM
Beginning Member

I found that diagram, apparently it's for 1985 Chevrolet Blazer K5 350 engine. I should browse this forum more to see pictures of other cars and understand how it's all wired.

Attached Thumbnails Missing tubes?-2009-10-30_165506_1985_k5_vac_hoses.jpg  
Old 09-03-2018, 11:55 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

If you're in California, there's no way that thing will pass a smog inspection the way it is now. Everything will need to be hooked up, including a feedback (computer-controlled) carburetor. It may end up being pretty expensive.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Ouch. Just saw where he was. That sucks!

Take off the air cleaner and send us a picture of the carb. Have you been able to find the emissions label that should be on the core support? If its there, upload a picture of that as well.

I did see a 2 part youtube video detailing someone's 84 K5. I didn't watch all of it, but it should help you out as this guy traced every vacuum line on his truck to make sure it was all hooked up properly. It also shows what the emissions label looks like so you know what you're looking for.

Old 09-03-2018, 06:28 PM
Beginning Member

Attaching 4 different shots of original carburetor. Previous owner said he SMOGged first on that carb, but it was 'running rough' so after SMOG he replaced that + couple other parts. That's what I was told. Current SMOG is valid for 2 years, so I have time to fix everything. That's my plan anyway.

He told me current carburetor is mechanical only which causes Check Engine Light. I will take air filter off and take some more pictures.

Attached Thumbnails Missing tubes?-img_3306.jpg   Missing tubes?-img_3303.jpg   Missing tubes?-img_3304.jpg   Missing tubes?-img_3305.jpg   Missing tubes?-label.jpg  

Old 09-04-2018, 05:49 AM
Administrator

From the looks of it, the original carb was leaking at the well plugs (peened plugs located at the bottom of the fuel well - just in front of the primaries). This very well could be the reason for the engine running rough if they were leaking badly. Depending on your skill level, I could walk you through getting them sealed back up, but it requires some mechanical modification of the carb. There are quite a few good youtube videos on this subject as well. I have done quite a few over the years.

Looks like your truck is new enough to have an electronic EGR solenoid instead of the EGR TVS controls which simplifies the vacuum hose situation somewhat.

Having the check engine light on will cause you to fail smog the next time around. Hopefully it is just the missing carb items that is causing the CEL. Time will tell though. Just have to get into it and start getting everything reconnected properly. Hopefully that wiring harness is not damaged.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:29 PM
Beginning Member

I unscrewed the butterfly bolt on top of air filter enclosure and it allowed me to take top, air filter and whole bottom plastic casing off. Should it come apart so easily? Attached are pictures of carburetor that's currently on my Blazer. Previous owner didn't lie about that one, he indeed changed it. Also, that red part deep there also looks new, what is that? Ignition coil? Some part of ignition system?

Attached Thumbnails Missing tubes?-img_3311.jpg   Missing tubes?-img_3312.jpg   Missing tubes?-img_3313.jpg   Missing tubes?-img_3314.jpg   Missing tubes?-img_3316.jpg  

Missing tubes?-img_3317.jpg  

Last edited by Chrisdot; 09-04-2018 at 11:36 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Missing tubes?