Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Missing tubes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 06:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The red cap in the back is an the distributor; the ignition system component that sends spark to the spark plugs. I'm not sure that this is correct for your application either, but do not know for sure.

Makes me wonder what else has been changed... Does the truck still have catalytic converters installed? Is the exhaust valve still on the passenger side down pipe (just off the end of the exhaust manifold)?

Old 09-05-2018, 10:13 PM
Beginning Member
Chrisdot is on a distinguished road

Attaching couple of pictures of the exhaust. Not sure what's standard and what not, I want to figure all that out.

Attached Thumbnails Missing tubes?-img_3319.jpg   Missing tubes?-img_3320.jpg   Missing tubes?-img_3321.jpg   Missing tubes?-img_3322.jpg  
Old 09-05-2018, 10:38 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Looks like the cat has been removed, just like the rest of the smog equipment. To be honest, if I were you, I would go demand my money back from the seller. Whoever smogged that thing should lose their license.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:40 PM
Beginning Member

Is it difficult/expensive to make it right? I really like the car.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:12 PM
Beginning Member

Here's short video right after I started the car. There is some smoke coming from exhaust, is that normal? Is it related to cat/vacuum stuff?

Old 09-07-2018, 01:15 PM
Beginning Member

I think it's valve cover gasket leaking and oil drips on exhaust pipe then burns causing smoke. I cleaned the engine to see over next days where it gets wet.
@swartlkk how do I go about rebuilding original carburetor? Should I get rebuild kit from rockauto?

Old 09-07-2018, 08:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The well plugs are not something that a rebuild kit will fix. If the well plugs are leaking, you have to ask yourself if you are up to the task of resealing them. If the answer is no, then just buy a refurbished E4ME carb and install it. I believe that your truck originally came with the E4ME model number Rochester Quadrajet, but to be sure, there should be some numbers on the original carb. If you could post a picture of these numbers we can nail down the model number for you. THIS SITE shows where the numbers are.

However you decide to go about it, you have A LOT of work to do in order to get that thing to pass CA inspection.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:01 AM
Beginning Member

@swartlkk, the original carb is 17083526 0545FKW. However, we can only speculate that this is the RIGHT carb for this car/engine. Engine has a big sticker with 350 on it. I don't know how else I can check the fit.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:41 AM
Administrator

That number comes up as the E4ME carb so that should be what originally came on the UJH emissions equipped trucks.

The distributor has been changed as well seeing as you now have a vacuum advance HEI distributor in there now.

The more I look at these pictures, the more I see wrong with this truck and the more of a hassle it is going to be for whoever ends up bringing it back into compliance with CA emissions.

As far as your video, it looks like the cross-over pipe has a crack that is leaking exhaust. The faint ticking is a dead giveaway. It likely is rusted out where the two pipes are slid over each other and what you are noticing is moisture boiling out of that joint at the crack. Man that thing idles high!

Old 09-12-2018, 05:49 PM
Beginning Member

That's exciting! My 5 year old son is stoked about Blazer. I called that shop:
Carburetors
they are nearby from where I live. Guy said they could rebuild my existing carb for $280. I think I will drive my Blazer there on Friday and ask about rebuilding that carb and also other items on the car. I want to do light jobs myself with my son and have shop do difficult/heavy items. Let's see how that goes.

Is $280 for carburetor rebuild job a fair price?

Regarding the exhaust leak, can I have a friend just weld it as a quick fix for now? Seems like once carburetor problem is solved I will have to focus on the whole exhaust anyway.

Last edited by Chrisdot; 09-12-2018 at 05:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Missing tubes?