Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

New Member with a 1970!

Old 05-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Red Tomato is on a distinguished road
Default New Member with a 1970!

Is this where all the big boys hang out?

I have introduced my Blazer in the new member section, happy to have something to talk about with you guys!

-Steve

Old 05-11-2009, 04:55 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Welcome!

Old 05-11-2009, 04:55 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd repost some of your technical questions here. They will likely get some answers if people don't have to switch back and forth between forum sections to read them and then reply.

Oil out the spark plug hole with the plug in would be a concern to me as well.

Have you tried re-installing? Do the threads seem ok?

I'm looking at possible oil usage in mine as well. Could be valves, oil ring, compression rings..... try the search function it is amazingly helpful.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:22 PM

Thanks Oisinirich, for others here is my question:

Just brought the Blazer home, bought it from a guy who bought it off ebay, he hauled it from Georgia to Oregon where it has sat for about two years. He started it a couple of times to move it around his shop but never titled it or insured it in Oregon.

When I got home a couple of neighbors came by ov course to see this big red thing that replaced a beat down 4dr Ford Torino that was resting in piece in my garage.

I popped the hood and noticed an oil drip coming from one of the spark plug holes, easy to tell because you could eat off the engine right now. I pulled the plug and it is pretty fouled, little slick and mussy grime on it. Motor ran great no misses, idle was smooth and at the right rpm... I'm thinking little bit of oil leaked down the valves over periods of sitting.

I'll be picking up a new set of plugs tonight and trying them out.

Problem two is the plug wire boot is also touching the header on the front cylinders. anyone have that problem or even better a solution?!

Thanks,
Steve

Old 05-11-2009, 05:41 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it touching because the wire is a 90 degree angle where it plugs onto that particular plug or...?

Old 05-11-2009, 06:00 PM

Wire is a 90 degree. the thick part of the plug boot will be touching or almost touching. I cannot reposition the boot as the wires are cut to length so no option there.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You could either put a new set of wires on it that may have longer lengths for these cylinders or you could try a shorter plug like the Accel Shortie plugs. I do not really like Accel plugs, but if you need to get some clearance, they are one option.

The other out there option is a set of headers made for straight plug heads which would have the clearance necessary. The set of Hooker headers I put on my 74 have plenty of clearance around the plugs.