Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

shakes side to side when braking need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 07:18 PM
jesservargas is on a distinguished road
Default shakes side to side when braking need help

im new to this forum so please bear with me. I have a 1984 K5 last month is when the shaking from side to side began and it only happened when i would brake and it wouldnt stop until the truck came to a complete stop. i asked around and took it to a places and they all said it was the spindle knuckle so i replaced it. two weeks go by and now its doing it again but even worse. no one seems to know whats causing the problem. if anyone has any advise i would appreciate it

Old 07-22-2010, 08:04 PM
CNYCountryKidd is on a distinguished road

Are your brakes bad? Mine are and it shakes/vibrates pretty bad esp when I'm getting off the highway.

And.. did he show you the spindle knuckle when he told you it was bad? The only knuckle I can think of spindle wise is the steering knuckle that everything bolts to. And that's a huge hunk of metal. Don't see why that could cause shaking unless it was cracked...

Old 07-22-2010, 11:16 PM

yeah the spindle knuckle was bad the part where you screw everything onto was cracked. The brakes are about a month old. im taking into the dealership that my uncle bought it from and see what they can tell me

Old 07-22-2010, 11:20 PM
CNYCountryKidd is on a distinguished road

Ah, um.. there has to be more to it than just the knuckle being bad. It is solid metal after all. Bearing maybe? Def. get a second opinion

Old 07-22-2010, 11:26 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

*moved to 'full size k5 tech'. The 'new member' section is not for asking technical questions*

Old 07-23-2010, 06:08 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like 'death wobble'. How are your steering components? Nice and tight side to side? Do you have larger than stock tires on it? Lift?

Old 07-24-2010, 03:42 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Sounds like 'death wobble'. How are your steering components? Nice and tight side to side? Do you have larger than stock tires on it? Lift?

that was right inline of my first thoughts.

and Kyle is probably the best member on here to ask about these K5's, jesse.

i'd definately be looking @ the front end of that truck.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:12 PM

no the steering is pretty loose and my tires are 32x11.5 15
thanks ill look into it i appreciate yalls advice ill keep yall updated on the progress