Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Soft ray rear screen can it be tinted

Old 10-23-2007, 07:36 AM
MaNiAcUk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Soft ray rear screen can it be tinted

have limo tinted all the side windows now i get to the rear screen its got a soft ray tint on it and i want it limo tinted as then you wont be able to see the sound system that i will be installing soon was just wondering is there any way around having to buy a rear screen that hasent got soft ray on it

Old 10-23-2007, 08:05 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Soft ray rear screen can it be tinted

The tint is in the glass, not on the surface. You should be fine tinting the rear window.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:54 AM

its not in the glass its on the inside edgeof the glass bonded to the rear screen

Old 10-23-2007, 08:55 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

i would think you can still tint over it unless someone corrects me but i don't think it would be a problem

Old 10-23-2007, 08:58 AM

will give my window tint guy a ring and get him over in the next day or so to see what he can do shouldent cost me more than £50 for the rear screen to be donewill let you know how it goes.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I know my soft ray glass in my Chevelle (different vintage I know) is tinted in the glass, but that is more of a greenish blue tint to the glass overall.

I'm wondering if someone put some tint on this window previously. If that is the case, then you would need to remove the old tint before applying the new stuff.

Your tint guy should be able to give you a clear answer.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:19 AM

this isnt a film this isenamelled to rear screen it has a texture to it.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:34 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

It can be tinted, it just needs to be installed with a sponge rather than a squeegee (sp?) , because it's not a flat surface you have to work harder to remove the air bubbles.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:26 AM

Might just see how much a new rear screen is as lmc are doing them at $99 bucks i should be able to get it for pounds for dollars over here will do some research in to it.