Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Starter wiring problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 10:00 AM
Beginning Member
Woot! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starter wiring problems

Hi everyone!

As some of you know I just got a 77 Blazer K5 with a bad tranny. I just finished replacing the tranny and was just going to put the starter back in and now I can't figure out the wiring on it.

There are 3 wires that I have, the first is a large red wire, the second is a large black wire and the 3rd is a small wire. I know where the small wire goes but is what I can't figure out is where the 2 big ones go. I thought the big black one grounded onto one of the tranny mounting bolts and the red one went to the starter...but I can't seem to figure it out. I put both on the starter and when I went to crank it to try it then it sparked.

Anyone with a 77 or somewhere around there it would be awesome if you could look on your rig and see how the wiring is. Thanks for the help [sm=thanx.gif]

Edit- I was just looking and noticed that the out of the 2 big wires one is much larger and it comes directly from the battery. So I know for sure that that one goes on the starter so now my question is where the heck does the other one go?

Old 03-20-2008, 04:09 PM
BigBlack73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Starter wiring problems

I just looked at the wiring on my 73' Blazer the best i could without tearing it apart. based on that and basic wiring one of the bigger ones is going to go the positive side of your battery and the other thicker one just needs to be grounded somewhere on the frame. That should work, if i doesn't let me know and i'll look at mine a little more in depth.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:11 PM
Beginning Member

I think I figured out where all the wires go. The positive from the battery goes on the main pole and the one that goes up to the key switch goes on the same pole with it. Then there is 1 left that goes on one of the small poles on the side. I get it hooked up and turn the key on and the lights dim and electrical smoke starts coming up from somewhere. Could you take a picture of the silanoid where all the wires hook up? If I had this then I could start working on finding the source of the smoke.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:03 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

The purple wire should go to the "S" terminal on the solenoid.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:38 PM
Beginning Member

Sorry I'm kinda blonde LOL. I don't see a purple wire and what do you mean by the "S" terminal? There is only a red that comes from the battery and a red that goes to the ignition (I think) and another small black one that I don't know where goes.

Bare with me I'm still learning

Old 03-21-2008, 12:43 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I've taken a pic of the back of a starter showing the "s" terminal.
(everyone has a starter motor on their kitchen floor don't they?)

I don't have a flashlight right now so I can't see under the truck.....tomorrow...

Old 03-24-2008, 12:15 PM
Beginning Member

^ Thanks for the help! I got it wired correctly and it does crank. Now we aren't getting any spark. When we were lowering the tranny from the engine I think the distributer cap was pushing up against the firewall so I'm suspecting that it has something to do with it. Any suggestions?

Edit-

Update: I figured out that we pinched a wire between the engine and the trans. The wire that I pinched happened to be the wire feeding the distributer. So when I got the starter wired correctly then the wire feeding the distributer is dead....so is what I need is a complete wiring diagram. If anyone has a PDF of one or knows where I can get one it would be greatly appreciated.