Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Steering Column Disassembly Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 05:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You typically can find columns pretty cheap on craigslist. Maybe worth while to see what's out there.

*EDIT* - I took a look in my 73-78 Illustration & Parts manual and I think that the OE number for the rack is 7815318. There was a kit available that included the rod, rack, & ignition switch under OE number 7819749 for the 73-74 tilt columns. Of course, neither of those part numbers turn up any meaningful results through a google search.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:35 PM
Beginning Member
Useful Idiot is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
You typically can find columns pretty cheap on craigslist. Maybe worth while to see what's out there.

*EDIT* - I took a look in my 73-78 Illustration & Parts manual and I think that the OE number for the rack is 7815318. There was a kit available that included the rod, rack, & ignition switch under OE number 7819749 for the 73-74 tilt columns. Of course, neither of those part numbers turn up any meaningful results through a google search.
Thanks for the help swart, I was able to locate the part through stolenandrecovered.com. Only place I could find that had it in stock, but I'm fairly certain the 79-91 version would've worked. I saw that one listed at a few different sites. Pics look identical, but I'm not up on my gm steering column history.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Beginning Member
greendouglash is on a distinguished road

I bought one from autozone for like 10 bucks. Check them out, make sure you're asking for the ignition switch kit. Here's a link Help/GM/Chrysler 1977-2002 Ignition Switch Kit (83211) | Ignition Switch Rack Kit | AutoZone.com

Old 04-21-2011, 07:53 PM
Beginning Member
Suncrest Sniper is on a distinguished road

It's hard to believe but back when I was an auto body repair tech (15 yrs) I was able to tear out from the car/truck any GM column and rebuild it from top to bottom in 45 minutes flat. I did all of the theft jobs that came into the shop and made a crap load of money fixing columns. They are a puzzle they come apart in one order and go back together in that same order reversed. Special tools are needed to pull the wheel, compress the backing plate, and to pull the tilt posts. Get your self a good exploded view of the column and it will help to show part install location.

SS

Old 07-25-2011, 05:02 PM
Starting Member
MissRumsey is on a distinguished road
Default Where..

Sorry to re-open this thread, but where were you able to find the ignition switch rack? I can't find it ANYWHERE. I found one at a junk yard, but it's not the right one. :/ The one listed above from auto zone is the only one I've been able to find, but I can't get it in my area, and they won't ship it, either. The dealership told me that this part is discontinued from GM. HELP!

Old 07-25-2011, 09:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Autozone won't ship it? That doesn't sound right... You can't just order it from their website? How about from Amazon.com? Just do a google search for "HELP 83211" and see what other stores carry it.